Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work the other day and saw what looked like a white, black and red Ninja. Was def. a Ninja kind of looked like a 250, anyway...a friend of mine says he knows of it and its a 2 stroke. Is this true? Is it also true I can register it here in NY? How would they know whats 2 stroke and whats not at DMV/insurance company? Whats the truth to any of this? I was going to buy this as a cheap bike to stunt on and take my road test on. Group of riding friends are all going in on it to take our road tests on and learn stoppies and stuff on it. Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Negative on that 96zx6. Two strokes are not legal here in the states for anything but off road use if they exceed 50cc. The RS50 is legal for street use, but I beleive you have to have it licensed and insured. And besides, it's nothing but a moped with bodywork. Boy I'd love to get a hold of a nice RGV250.

·
Registered
84 Posts
there all legal over here, my mate just bought a rs250 man those things fly for a 250 but they sound like lawnmowers though[:p]

·
Registered
251 Posts
Id like to get my hands on a 72' Kawi H2 750 2-stroke. You can still get plates for those here in the states.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A friend of mine here in palestine has 3 72' Kawi H2 750 2-stroke and they are street legal. They are wheelie machines lol you oughta see it, its scary.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A good friend of mines father had the first H2 in Georgia and still onws it. It's got 85,000 miles on the clock and still runs great. It's a beast though. He's replaced the rear sprocket a few times because the chain ripped the teeth off the sprocket. I've ridden it once and it whellie no problem at 100 mph. Not something i'd take in the twisties though.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by 96zx6
there all legal over here, my mate just bought a rs250 man those things fly for a 250 but they sound like lawnmowers though[:p]
I lived in England for 3 years and they're legal there too. I was too young at the time though. I remember when the RS250 came out as a street biker there. It's a cool bike. And they go like hell.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My buddy had two H2's when we were in high school. One converted for drag only and not street legal, and one that was street legal though heavily modified. There is nothing quite like the sound of a two-stroke triple with expansion chambers and the baffles removed! It is the raw primal sound of what initially drew me to Kawis. I will find one some day and attempt to locate some vintage race plastic and have it painted team green!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
That 250 sounds like it could be a KR250 or a KR-1 or KR-1S. Great fun. They have two crankshafts. Weird, but great fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first street bike was a brand new 1975 H2 750. Stock it was a great wheelie machine. Later I had it ported, polished, expansion chambers, jetted, and added velocity stacks. After I modified it the wheelies were not as good, but it was the fastest thing around throught the 1/8th mile. About 10 years ago I had a chance to buy it back for $50 and didn't, I'm still kicking myself.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
i had a 84 yamaha RZ-350 2 stroke. super fun bike. i thought it was so fast when i had it, but one revved me up on my commute home a couple weeks ago. needless to say, i destroyed him quick, even after giving him a 4 bike jump:D he got mad and wouldnt even look my way when he caught me at a signal[:p] i do remeber a 70's era kawi 500 that was a 2 stroke..daytona maybe?? [:p]

·
Registered
741 Posts
there are a few of the 2 strokes that are legal. there are some rs250 aprillias that are built for the street, then there is the 250 race bike thats loads faster, but nowhere near legal. i know a couple of guys that have 2 stroke dirtbikes on the street, the bigger ones just eat bikes for a while in a straight line. i want to get an older 250 race bike (honda or yamaha are the most popular :() and if i play the system right i can get a tag for it, as for insurence, i think you end up getting quoted off of the closest thing to it, sounds just like a ex250 to mee:D[:p]!!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've got a RGV250 and that thing flies. Theres no other feeling like 60hp coming at 10,000 RPM. Those things have some really small powerband. One of the best cornering bikes ever.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Definilty 250 2-stroke bikes ar legal here in the states, I have a friend that has a RGV 250 sweet bike, and lots of fun around town.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.