Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 stroke race

3K views 50 replies 6 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Could an ex250 beat a 250cc two stroke dirt bike (5 speed, single cylinder)?

#38 ·
well the shop is really cluttered with old stuff (helps to keep theives from stealing everything) and his dad is the owner of the business.. its more of a mom and poos kind of business that really knows their stuff.. but his dad may of hid his tank so he couldnt ride it utnill he got it all put together and broken in

#40 ·
well the owner is gettin pretty old, so he may of put the gas tank somewhere and forgot:D and yeah, the place only has 1 employee thats not in the family.. its only john senior, john j.r., john seniors wife, and me working there, and we get along just fine.. you'd have to see the shop to understand how it all ticks.

#42 ·
Ok, you have to remember that a 2 stroke fires two times as often as a 4 stroke, so you should get twice the power out of a similar diplacement 4 stroke. More power is geared equally will be faster, does not matter if it is dirt, paved, snow, you name it. 2 strokes do have draw backs, they are noisy, they usually need special oil added, they pollute pretty bad and are not nearly as efficient as modern 4 strokes.

They still race 2 stroke 125 and 250 gp bikes. If you are lucky Speed will show these races before MotoGP, but our stupid american market thinks that us viewers will not have any interest if it isn't a liter bike. Not very long ago, MotoGP used to be 500GP with 500 CC two strokes which were every bit as fast as todays 1000CC 4strokes, only they were very hard to ride. With extreme power bands that went from flat to spike in no time. They changed the format to make the bikes more rideable and safefer along with other reasons.

#49 ·
Originally posted by bkmster14
...but its a 250.
You really need to ride a 250cc 2-stroke roadbike. They are far better and faster than you seem to think. You'll probably never get the chance to ride one in the USA though, or the inclination, from the sound if it.

I've ridden a sick (as in unwell) KR250, like the one in the photo, and it was an abolute hoot. So much fun. The Suzuki RGV250 and Aprilia RS250 are far better.

By the way, the Aprilia RS250 GP bikes have 110+hp, the RS250 roadbikes have about 60-65hp. Still lots of fun though.

#50 ·
60-65 hp on a bike that is lighter, has a better suspension, and is all around a more focused sports bike then a ex500. Yea sign me up!
Then again, I was trying to find the scratch to buy an old yamaha RD500 that was in the paper a month or so ago. I considered it a steal at 6000. Since it was never sold here, it was the street version of the GP race bike back in the early 80's, and just flat out bad ass. I want one so bad now.

#51 ·
One of my friends used to have an RZ500. I think the engine was fairly tired, but it was still a lot of fun to ride. 2-strokes really are so much more fun to ride than (most) 4-strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.