Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Please wear your gear.
2. Let your tires warm before getting on the throttle. Especially in the colder climates.

My good friend went down on Friday because his tires were cold. We just left his apartment to go see his wife and to do some riding. my tires were warm because I had a 20 minute drive to his house. Him on the other hand... We pull out of his parking lot and onto this road right behind his place that is an easy right. He gets on the throttle and I turn my head just in time to see the rear tire slide left, then he tried to correct and the tire bit and pitched him right over the front. His shoulder was hurting so I took his bike back (that now has a broken shifter, the nub came right off) to his parking spot, went and got his truck and drove him to the hospital. Found out today that he has a third degree torn A-C ligament in his right shoulder, which means they have to put wires in it to get it back together. He was wearing his helmet, leather jacket, boots, and a pair of durable jeans. If he wasn't wearing his lid he would probably have a concusion or worse because his head hit the ground first followed by his shoulder.:( It tough to see a friend go down like that. So please wear gear and let your tires warm up.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Do you guys swerve left and right to warm up your tires quicker? Or am I the only person that does this...

Tell your friend we wish him the best!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Someone told me that "swerving" while warming up your tires doesn't do anything to warm them up quicker like in Nascar. Can anyone confirm?

Best of luck to your buddy!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Swerving doesn't do much because you're not applying the kind of forces required to force the belts to rub against each other. The tire really heats up from the inside out. The best thing you can do is being hard on the gas - but so hard as to spin it - and hard on the brakes - but not hard enough to lock it up.

Swerving doesn't put a great deal of stress on the carcass itself, braking, accelleration, and cornering loads are the only way to effectively warm up those boots. Tire warmers are nice too....

·
Registered
89 Posts
nothing like being leaned over on a chilly september morning & having the front wash out a little bit on a crosswalk to pucker the ass before work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
hey BTW, swerving in NASCAR is NOT primarily used to warm up the tires, its used to get the track dust and debris and speedy-dry etc. off there tires so the tires are CLEAN and will stick to the track. ;)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I used to crack the throttle a little, spin the tire for about 5 feet, and it would grab and I'd be off. The only thing I noticed, is that it would wear down the tire much faster then if I was to just let it warm up on its own.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. I just transferred the armor from my phoenix to my violator b/c of the cooler weather. I have a couple of questions for you that we may all benefit from.

A. Did his jacket have any armor/padding in it? What kind of jacket was it?

B. What was the temperature?

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
How much time does it take to warm up a tire? I know different tires take different times to warm but how do you know when it's warm enough to lean it hard?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i only sweve to help clean off my tires, it doesnt really warm them up...but hard starting and stopping tend to warm them up...but someone mentioned that already I think...

it's been colder here in PA and I luckily survived a few scary cold tire moments...

funny how much cold weather effects your grip...

and cyberdos, the only way you can tell if they are warm enough is to progressively lean over farther and farther...you just dont want to slam the bike over in the first turn out of your driveway.

i usually try and guage traction using throttle coming out of turns. If I can't slide the rear, then I figure the tires are working fine...

·
Registered
15 Posts
A torn A-C Ligament I do not think all the gear in the world would have stopped that from happening. Wish'em Well, Chris

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by mvrk1

Sorry to hear about your friend. I just transferred the armor from my phoenix to my violator b/c of the cooler weather. I have a couple of questions for you that we may all benefit from.

A. Did his jacket have any armor/padding in it? What kind of jacket was it?

B. What was the temperature?
No the jacket didn't have any armor. the temp was in the mid 60's i think. The thing is, it was a windy that day and it was cold the night before and his bike was in the shade all day. My jacket is a Meteor 4 that I think helped a lot when I lowsided mine at about 50+ on a cool morning. Just tore a small hole on the left forearm just below the padding. I think the armor would have helped more than just his leather jacket.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote from Jerky808:

"nothing like being leaned over on a chilly september morning & having the front wash out a little bit on a crosswalk to pucker the ass before work."

LMAO! :D

I can picture that now....

10c Peice ->
Manhole cover ->
10c Peice ->
Manholde cover.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos

How much time does it take to warm up a tire? I know different tires take different times to warm but how do you know when it's warm enough to lean it hard?
Well it takes about a 20 min easy riding to get 'em warm enough to keep me on them with Dunlop D207's, more time the better they get. It's about 10 celcius around here these days. I heard that M1 heats up quicker, but I dont know any more details on which tire is a better choice for a winter ride. Any suggestions from Moderators?
Oh yeah, let's search, someone must have quoted it sometimes definately :D.

·
Registered
940 Posts
hmmm....cold tires??? nothin' a good ole fashioned burnout wouldn't cure!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by sabbadoo10

hmmm....cold tires??? nothin' a good ole fashioned burnout wouldn't cure!!
LOL!!!
I'll try on the last ride to get a new rear!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.