Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~20-27 MPG '03 636. Something wrong? What can I check? My gas light comes on at 95-105 miles. I have about 700 miles on the engine. Im runing 10w-40 Castrol CTX. Its not a big deal, I can pay for the gas Im just worried that something might be wrong with my new bike that I love. I see that some people get almost 40 MPG.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
How are you coming up with that mileage figure?

I can get about 45 mpg around town but I know guys riding the same bike that are lucky to get 30 mpg. I very seldom exceed 5,000 rpm (really 4,000 rpm) around town unless there is a reason. The guy that gets 30 mph probably seldom shifts below 10,000 rpm.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Is your fast idle switch turned down to where there is no dark, thick, black lines showing at idle when the engine warms up. Someone here in town had gas mileage problems, but he kept the fast idle switch all the way towards the rider the whole time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
How do you figure that you get 20mpg? 27 mpg (at 95 miles = 3.5 gallons) is believable. But even if the light comes on at 95 miles, you'd have to add 4.75 gallons to ur tank to calculate 20mpg, and our tank doesn't hold that much gas.

Anyway, I'm assuming you use 92 octane gas, like you're supposed to?

You may also want to experiment with different gas stations. With some gas stations (even the same brand of gas) I get better fuel consumption.

With my bike, 50% city 50% hwy, idle at around 1.3k, shifting at around 6k, cruising around 4-5k, 1900 miles since April 03, I get around 40mpg. The first time I rode it, I got 50mpg on a long trip. Then it fell to 33mpg for a long time, then then one day it just improved to 36 and now 40.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I think i know why I get bad milage. One, most of my trips are 1-3 miles in distance. Two, lots of stop lights. Three, I often have a passenger (75%) and lastly I do often hit 7-8k around town.

On a side note I went on a 300 mile trip throgh the mountains and got 50 mpg ridin the bike 80-140 mph and rairly droping below 9k. Odd.

Also I have 1,300 miles on the engine now and get a little better milage in the city. When I switch to synthetic at 2k maybe it'll run a litter better then too. Also I'll try different gas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.