Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've recently finished a cafe racer conversation with an Er5, but sadly once I had it back together and finished I started getting issues with fuel in the engine and airbox , realising the only way to put it right was to break it down again and this time remove and semi rebuild the carb's, also after reading up on the subject on the net I ordered a new petlock just to be on the safe side and got to work stripping down and cleaning the carbs, once cleaned I replaced the float needles, o rings and a few other bits and popped them back on, along with a new petcock, all parts were orginal and once back together the bike started on the button first time, all good and all stayed that way for around three weeks, I had been getting a problem before removing and refitting the carbs and petcock which was with the starter solinoid, as the bike would sometimes sound like the starter motor was sticking, but after I small whack to the starter solonoid it would start fine, any how as I said before the bike gave me no stress for about 400 miles, then I tryed starting it after a run on, and started getting grief with the stater solinoid again, at this point I muse had flooded the engine as it turned over for a short while before restarting, then ran fine but when I stopped I checked the overflow pipe on the airbox to discover I has fuel back in it, after riding home another 50 or so miles I checked again and it was dry until I let it stand over night, which then filled the airbox and engine back up with fuel
This has baffled me as I replaced what I thought was at fault, I pulled the cars again and noticed on of the floats was out, which was a surprise as I spent a bit of time setting these up correctly ? I was wondering if when I was constantly turning it over after I flooded it somehow forced fuel into the bowls and moving the setting of the float ? How else could it have changed ? Any help or thoughts on this would be greatfully received

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Hi all,

SNIP

This has baffled me as I replaced what I thought was at fault, I pulled the cars again and noticed on of the floats was out, which was a surprise as I spent a bit of time setting these up correctly ? I was wondering if when I was constantly turning it over after I flooded it somehow forced fuel into the bowls and moving the setting of the float ? How else could it have changed ? Any help or thoughts on this would be greatfully received
That is a bit strange. The only thing I can think of offhand is that there might be some issue with the float "arm" (little thing you bend to adjust float height) and maybe it is weak and prone to bending outside of deliberate adjustment.

It might also be possible that you didn't actually get it adjusted right the first time and simply found your mistake the second time around. Setting float height is something of an art and even after doing it quite a few times I still find myself triple and quadruple checking to make sure I have it setup correctly. The finesse of getting the carb tilted just right while measuring without disturbing the float and getting erroneous results is something I obviously have not mastered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, so today I popes it all back together and it seems it's the petlock, when in the on or reserve position it still leaves a small amount of fuel running ? Very anoying considering it was replaced with an new original one less than a month ago

1 - 3 of 3 Posts