Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a fork conversion I did using a 2007 KX250F front end. The stem bearings are the same, just the 07 stem is longer and the stops are different. A few others have done this conversion by replacing the stems. My press didn't feel like putting out the strength, so I found another route. The 07 forks are two chamber Showas and are far superior to the 8 year old KYB's.

07 KX250F triple clamps. Same bearings as my 2000 KX250. When I compared both trees next to each other the 07 stem was slightly taller...like a 1/4". So I just tapped (a press would be better but mine is too small) the stem down about 1/4".

It seems when you press the stems in you should press them in flush with the bottom of the clamp. So I just went a tad farther.

Only question now is the stops. I'll have to address that after I perform my initial install.

Once the stops are taken care of, the rest of the suspension will bolt right up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front end removed from the KX.

And the 07 clamps installed. You can see where the steering stop needs modification.

Fork tube to frame interference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the temporary stop I made up. I'm planning on refurbing the bike (paint frame/plastics/graphics) so I'll weld something on the frame for a stop. In the mean time...

not exactly what I wanted, but it will work for now. All clear with the frame, time to mount those forks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the finished product. I needed to use the triple clamp, forks, front brake system, wheel, axle/spacers. The 2000 fender bolted right up, but the numberplate is different. So I'm not sure whether I want to go stealth-like or not.

The first ride was awesome. The forks realy make a difference. I had the KX forks rebuilt and revalved by a professional and they still don't come close to the newer stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts