Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this posted in the BOTM thread back in January. Anyway, here it is in the proper forum.

I was looking for a "beater" so I didn't have to ride my other 2000 KX250 all the time. The bike was purchased for $700 off Craigslist. It didn't run and looked like it fell off a trailer and was dragged down the street.

Check out the rad

Lack of lubrication led to blown crank bearings and a whooped piston

Moving along........

De-carbonizing process

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New Wiseco crank installed

New Wiseco piston installed...lookin yummy!

Complete engine assembly. Wiseco crank assembly and piston kit, all new seals and gaskets

"What can Brown do for you?"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just touched up the frame with PJ1. Making some headway.....

First run. Click on the pic

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All done!

I added the triple clamps after, just waiting on my Pro Tapers to arrive.

Engine - Weisco crank, bearings, piston. Resealed and all new gaskets. Decarbonized. Cleaned carb. Re-installed V-Force cage. Added PC Works pipe. New Twin-Air air filter.

Frame/Body - Touch-up paint. New plastics, seat cover and graphics. Universal triple clamp and Pro Taper bars.

New left radiator, greased rear suspension linkage, lubed all cables, Renthal Works chain, Renthal rear sprocket (stock gearing), New fuel lines and vent lines (still need to install vent lines), replaced front brake lever, Renthal grips, new AOF clutch lever assembly, new kill switch, chain guide and mud flap....I think that's it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On it's maiden voyage, I blew out both fork seals. I had new springs, seals, bushings and valves installed.

Forks, new Pro Tapers and triple clamps, new vent lines:

Edit: Recent pic with numbers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I used that bike on my first race this year at Englishtown. Bike performed perfect....I got my ass whooped. LOL

The bike took under 2 weeks to complete. That's including the time I was waiting for UPS to arrive.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used that bike on my first race this year at Englishtown. Bike performed perfect....I got my ass whooped. LOL

The bike took under 2 weeks to complete. That's including the time I was waiting for UPS to arrive.
I had a 99 kx250 with Works Connection suspension and a Tom Morgan built motor. That thing could hold it's own against the newer 4 stroke bikes...just took more work:eek:. (I raced it up till 04)
Your bike looks awesome! (cept for the wrinkle in the seat cover:D)

·
Registered
340 Posts
yea, sweet looking bike. i had a 99 kx 250 also. never had any problems except the lower shock pivot would eat bearings, but i rode in mostly sand.what class do you race?im looking to find something to tinker on, i really miss my moto.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
2 weeks? Wow; you are my hero! What a transformation.. thanks for sharing...

btw - I just added ASV levers to my '06 - pricey, but VERY nice; and they do appear to be unbreakable...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your bike looks awesome! (cept for the wrinkle in the seat cover:D)
Yeah, the seat foam was wiped out. I replaced it since and she looks better.

yea, sweet looking bike. i had a 99 kx 250 also. never had any problems except the lower shock pivot would eat bearings, but i rode in mostly sand.what class do you race?im looking to find something to tinker on, i really miss my moto.
LOL. I just replaced the lower shock bearing. You're lucky if you get a year out of them.

2 weeks? Wow; you are my hero! What a transformation.. thanks for sharing...

btw - I just added ASV levers to my '06 - pricey, but VERY nice; and they do appear to be unbreakable...
Let me know how you like those ASV's, I was tinkering with the thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PJ1 Kawa Lime Green Paint

I am doing the same type of project on my 99 kx125 but can't find anyone that sells the green anymore. Where did you find that stuff!!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let me know how you like those ASV's, I was tinkering with the thought.
I got my used 450F with ASV levers and they're great. I've had little wrecks like lowsiding in corners all the way to having hitting my right side bars against a tree right across the brake lever, that one resulted in a broken toe lol. So far the levers are indeed unbrakeable. I like my shorty brake lever, the clutch lever is full length and i thought that was retarded at first, but I've lowsided on th clutch side and had the clutch lever dig into the dirt and squeze against the bars keeping the engine running so thats actually been nice.

I think Sunline and Renthal also have new levers that bend like the ASV levers, but will actually rotate vertically so you don't even need to keep your perches a little loose. You can tighten down the perches and the levers will rotate in any direction to keep from braking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts