Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2000 Kawasaki zx 900e. Headlights just stopped working one night. Headlights don’t work now but sometimes come on when the bike is running. When they’re on the beam indicator is also on. When they’re off the beam indicator is off. Working on bike for a friend. I am an automotive mechanic so I have knowledge of electrical systems, use a power probe and read schematics just new to the zx bike. Questions I have are. 1 How does the headlight circuit work? 2 Where can I find a wiring diagram? 3 Where is the headlight relay located? 4 Where is the harness connector for the headlights located? Toggling the headlight switch does nothing. Tapping the switch does nothing. I looked inside the headlight switch and all connections seem fine. I checked at what I believe is the headlight harness connector based off the color wires in the switch Vs. the color wires at said connector and it looks fine no melts or corrosion. I checked the “head” fuse in the junction box it’s fine. How do I manually power the lights with a power probe. One last thing to mention is the plug at the back of the lightbulb, when the bike is running all three terminals are ground. What does that mean? Trying to figure out why the headlights were working stopped, and now it kind of only come on intermittently most of the time off sometimes on.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire

Cameras & optics Camera accessory Digital camera Reflex camera Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Finger Gas Measuring instrument Automotive battery

Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Steering part

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
“Yorkie thanks for the reply! Great diagnostic info! So there’s 2 things we did this morning and the lights work now. Started it a bunch of times and the lights click on when it runs now. What we did is: there is a 3 yellow wire connector around 12 and 10 gauge that was melted and corroded at the terminals, when we moved that around the headlights came on. The bike owner thinks that connector has something to do with the headlights. I’m still studying the schematic I don’t know. We got it working for now. What I don’t get is when the bike was running and we unplugged said connector the light stayed on so I don’t know what that connector does. I am not at the bike right now so I can’t get a picture so I hope that’s a good description. And yes, I applied voltage to the blue and white wire for the headlights at the junction box with the key on and sure enough the light relay clicked on and the light stayed on. So where I’m at now is whatever controls the light getting power at start is not working but when you manually apply voltage the light works. What is it that three yellow 12-10 guage wire connector under the seat? So where I’m at now is whatever controls the light getting power at start is not working but when you manually apply voltage the light works. My ultimate goal is to fix I believe you said a diode controls the relay? Where is that diode? Thank you so much.” From my post on zx-r.net, Same topic but more replies. I hope this helps someone

1 - 2 of 2 Posts