Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,i have a 2000 zx7,i bought it for $2,200.00 it has a salvage title,but thats ok because i wanted to make it a track bike,when i took it in to have the carbs cleaned and synchronized,they noticed that there was antifreeze in the pan,and they said that it could be a cracked head,a head gasket,a crack in one of the cylinders,but they said that just to find out what the problem is will cost like 375 bucks,and if it is a cracked cylinder its like 850bucks for a new one,he also said that to find a new or used motor will be impossible or very expensive,cuz everyone uses them for those sprintcars (and the gsxr1000 motors),should i have them tear it apart and find out what is the problem or will i be just investing too much to where i can buy another bike,i dont want to because i love this bike,please let me know what you think........

·
Registered
79 Posts
i would say you should look at it yourself.. pull the gas tank and the carbs off and look. if you see a little build up around the head then you need a new head gasket if not then its something more major.. i would use that to determine whether to replace it or not. just my 2cents worth.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for the quick reply, i want to do as much of this as i can so i can keep the dealership labor rate ass rapings to a minimum

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Beg borrow or buy a compression tester, check the compression on each cylinder, thats the only way to find out if you have a crack in the cylinder.
A low reading from two adjacent cylinders is most likely blown headgasket and coolant in the oil would support that.
if you get a low reading in a cylinder then add a spoonful of oil, a temporary improvemnet would suggest worn rings and little or no improvement would poss be blown headgasket/cracked blocked or leaking/ burnt valves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will a standard compression tester work (the one used on cars)with the right adaptor to fit in the spark plug hole,thanks again in advance.........

·
Registered
60 Posts
On motorcycles if your water pump goes bad it will all so make the anti. mix with you oil when the bike was wrecked was it a front impact if so the oil cooler could have been damage and this will cause the same efect. but if you just want to buy a use motor i have one that only have about 800 miles but it needs a head everything else is good. i will take $600 for it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i called the dealership where it was at and they said that they did a compression test and they said that it was good,but they said that it still could be a head gasket,and they pressure tested the radiator and thats when they said that it leaked they put 15 lbs of pressure in and it started leaking into the pan,i find myself scratchin my head,any help would be greatly appreciated.........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do i need to pull the carbs if i just swing the motor down on the bottom back bolt just so i can pull the head???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok caboose i pulled the head and the gasket showed no signs of malfunction but the #2 and #3cyl walls were scored more #2 than #3there were 2 small pieces of metal stuck into the underside of the head they look like small pieces of rings,what do you think or should i just take the motor all the way out and take just the motor to have it rebuilt,to eliminate any doubts,or should i fly you down here to do it for me then we can go to VIR and see if it runs good hehehe j/k

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same problem happen 2 months ago. Everyone said itr was the head, etc. Took it the local kawi dealer (delray motorsports)They replaced the radiator which was cracked. But the problem was the water pump. Out the door for 500.00. The water pump and labor was less than 150. The rest was for the radiator which was cracked(my fault). The anti mixes with oil when the water punp isn't working. Don't listen to these guys. Get the basics checked. My bike has only 7500 miles, but coincidence we both have 2000 and its mid 2006.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ill tell them to check it out thanks alot 00 zx-7,i cant wait to get it on the track im chompin at the bit,im also stressed because i keep hearin how expensive a new motor is

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.