Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No spark i got a new pickup coil new spark plugs and all new fluids. When I got the bike it had a new Ignition with out the resistor on the Gray wire so I'm not sure if it blew my CDI out. I get 6 V going to the CDI with the new Ignition in resistor installed 110 ohm 5% 1/4 watt. And I'm getting power up to the Ignition coils While the bike is on the on position. I have pretty much check my grounds and all my safety switches. Now with the 1500 I paid for it and when I originally got it the owner said it was just the pick up coil but irony replace that and nothing and I got about 1300 into rebuilding it. The only thing I can think of is get a new wire harness Ignition coils and they knew Cdi was hoping to not have to do that though. Please help thank you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It might not be the problem but I would install the right resistor value, 110ohm is close but the cdi might be expecting the reduced voltage on the Grey wire to be in a specific range and 110 puts it below that tolerance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's probably not that but I've only ever fitted the correct value resistor so just to make sure I'd want it correct before continuing with Diagnostics (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya thats Basically where I'm at I know the CDI and the Ignition coils as well as the Highness is probably going to be a pretty penny so I wanna make sure I got everything else right before I take that route I did find a service manual for my year and model of buy it on eBay that should be here in a couple days. So hopefully when I get that I can dial it in pretty good this is the 1st time I've rebuilt a street bike have rebuilt snow machines, four wheelers, Ranger and dirt bikes. Here's the before picture when I bought it from that previous owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like the fact you've junked that rear end and installing original, Coming on nicely (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i think he was trying to go for the street fighter look I'm not really sure as you can see he also chopped off the top of the front fairing as well. Sucks but I ordered a new fairing kit from that DHgate website. But it's kind of sketchy it's already been a month an a half and I still haven't got a tracking number so I'm pretty sure I just lost that $400 bucks. Lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i got a new cdi still nothing. Im so lost. I checked the ignition coils With a multi meter when I put the prongs on the to top it comes out to 0.0 and when I put one at the top and 1 at the bottom of the rubber boot it comes out to 11.0 is this correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok so going back somewhat I assume the100ohm resister is in place now ?
you say the Pick up coil was replaced, Did you make sure the Air gap was correct ?

We'll get to the Ignition coils but unlikely both are faultys in which case at least the Bike would fire on 2 cylinders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the 1/4w puts me at 8.3 and the 1/2w put me at like 0.06. And is there a certain way to install the pickup coil. Like as far as the gear being placed a certain direction. And last thing should you be able to see spark if you turn it over with the pickup coil cover off?

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go with the 100ohm 1/4w resistor.
Pick up all looks good, There is no spark generated at the Pick up. It's a Hall Effect Sensor.
OK we need to back up a step or 3 :)
First up is the Battery up to the task, Good one with a full charge ?
Next with the Ignition switched on and NOT pushing the starter what lights are showing on the Clocks ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so i get it running. Took in on a little trip and i started to get white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have the Faintest milky look in the oil as well. Where do i go from here?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts