Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 zx9r that i just purchased used from a previous owner, i do know that the guy took great care of the bike with all scheduled maintenance and it has lots of upgrades. I've only had to replace battery so far and oil change is next. My question to you fellow zx9 riders who know a little something about the bike is:

When riding at low speeds, 2nd or 3rd gear, do yall notice alot of jerking from the bike. If i don't keep a steady acceleration on the throttle, the bike likes to jerk almost like someone driving a stick shift in a car for the first time. I've read somewhere that this or something similar is one of this bikes negative traits, but just want to make sure it's not something serious or something i need to get looked at. Could the 520 chain conversion cause this? Anyways thanks guys for your input about it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i also have a 2000 and it rides smooth. its either chain issues or clutch slipping engaging on its own. or a rare case of kicking around gears but that more of a 06-07 harley issue lol. one way to help is it hitting high RPMs when you get the jerking.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What kinda rpm are you running when your going slow? If your running to low of a rpm your going to feel the pulsing of the motor. Most inline four cylinder bikes like to be over 4k rpm also if your idle is set to low it can make the bike feel choppy if you close the throttle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
when was the last time the carbs were syncd (sp) had the same issue once, syncd the carbs problem solved. plus these bikes love it above 4000 rpms

·
Registered
148 Posts
If its an E you have, then set the pilot screws to 2 turns out and balance the carbs, it will feel loads better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, all great input and i'll definitely use the advice. I did turn the idle down when i got the bike to about 1200 rpm as he had it at about 1500-1700 rpm idle. I think i'm prob cruising to slow in 2nd or 3rd, prob somewhere around 3000rpm which i thought might be the problem. I do know these bikes aren't made for going slow and is why i didn't think it was a huge problem. Not sure about him getting carbs done as i don't know a whole lot about bike maintenance and need to get a manual for the bike and read up. He's had it serviced according to schedule and i'm not sure if they do carbs with one of these services or not but i would think so. It has stage 3 jet kit but again i don't know exactly what that does for the bike either. Never really noticed it much until my girlfriend was on back and going slow as not to scare her and she even said something about it. What does it cost to get carbs cleaned? I don't know anything in terms of mechanic stuff about bikes, so i'll definitely have to pay someone to service it for things. Bike has 20,000 mi on it and i think he had it serviced at the 18,000 mark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its an E you have, then set the pilot screws to 2 turns out and balance the carbs, it will feel loads better.
where are the pilot screws located? It is an E

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pilot screws are located under the carbs forward of the float bowls, your looking for a small ressed brass screw. Better to do this with the carbs removed. While your there fit a couple of vacuume take off's to cylinders 2 and 3 like whats on 1 and 4. Fit a short bit of pipe to these and blank with a bolt after balancing the carbs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
9's are known for being twitchy when rolling on the throttle...

"Specifically, when the Kawasaki's throttle is opened on corner exits, no matter how smoothly, the engine catches suddenly after a moment's hesitation, causing some instability and making the bike run wide." -http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0102_zx9rfix/index.html

Yes, but that's in the 5-6K on-off situation. I'd vote for poor jetting and carb sync.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts