Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 zx9r and I am trying to find out how to get rid of the restriction of 186mph. so far i haven't found any help.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I don't think its restricted. My 2001 runs past 190 on the speedo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe the 2001 had some changes, but I don't know. on the other hand you would have to out ride me first (ha ha ha).

·
Registered
493 Posts
im pretty sure the 9r wont hit 186 actual mph. it may read it on the speedo but...then again who knows how fast it'll go if your gettin stopped at 186 on the speedo. a rule of thumb is japenese bikes speedo's are about 8% fast at 80 and get worse the faster you go. either way you guys are fuckin flying[}:)]

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Do you have any mods, Prostock? When I first got my 9 I could get to about 175-180 on the speedo, 6th gear and the RPM 's would barely climb any higher on the tach. Is that what you're talking about? If so then that is a DRAG restriction, meaning that the bike cannot make any more power to go any faster because of wind resistance. Now after I went -1 on the front, the bike easily ran up to 185 and I hit the rev limiter winding 6th gear out. Scary as hell, its like slamming on brakes if you don't expect it. Since then I put on a D&D full exhaust and stage one jet kit. Now it runs up and past 190 and it havent hit the rev limiter yet. The bike was still pulling strong!! But it is not like my buddy on his "stock" ;) zx12. He complains when the bike shuts down at a indicated 200MPH!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I don't have any mods other than lowering the bike 2" in the front and as far as the aftermarket dog bones would let me in the rear. Yes this is the restriction that I getting, but I was able to get the bike (speedo) to get to 184mph, then I ran out of power and rpm's. I didn't want to do anything to the bike because it is running so well. I raced 3 other 900's all having work done to their bikes, pipes, jet kits, sprockets, etc. , and I beat all of them. I even raced a R1 with a pipe and I beat him so bad (3 times) that I turned around and waved at him. ( my friend has this on tape ). I guess for the purpose of gains, i will have to do some mods. I am thinking of putting a dry nos kit on it. 40 shot.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
To be completely honest, changing my front sprocket was the best and cheapest mod. Let that one be your next mod. It'll be the best $35 you ever spent!!!!! Once you change it, you'll wondering why you took so long to do it. I can't stress that enough. Believe it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
No!!!! You gain bottom end. Your bike will rev quicker and come out the hole like a bat out of hell. Going down one tooth on the front on all bikes is to gain bottom end. Just so happens on the 9 gearing it down helps the motor pull harder at the top end also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured you meant going up in the front to gain top end, but if what you say is true i guess i will try it, after all whats 30 bucks.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by prostockzx9r
I figured you meant going up in the front to gain top end, but if what you say is true i guess i will try it, after all whats 30 bucks.
Go DOWN one in the front not up. i think stock is a 16 tooth go to a 15 tooth. and if you dont like it you can always change it back and sell it. there is no need to modify the chain or anything. It took my mechaninc about 15 min to do.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Hey Kilaman how does it feel to have a little 6RR pull away from you(oh hell there I go dreaming again). :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to try this, but first i have to finish putting my bike back together. Just need some plastics and a headlight. I already fixed most of the damage. I wiped out going 75-80 on the back wheel, some stupid bitch pulled out on me at the last sec. No helmet , no jacket, no gloves. Pretty stupid, I know. That won't happen again. I was laid up for 4 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just thought id show you guys something different for the zx9.and yes i swore whilst fitting it.this includes the front zx12 forks..

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by zxzxzx9
just thought id show you guys something different for the zx9.and yes i swore whilst fitting it.this includes the front zx12 forks..
What is it?[8D]Maybe I'm blind!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Now after I went -1 on the front, the bike easily ran up to 185 and I hit the rev limiter winding 6th gear out. Scary as hell, its like slamming on brakes if you don't expect it. Since then I put on a D&D full exhaust and stage one jet kit. Now it runs up and past 190 and it havent hit the rev limiter yet."

If you change the front sprocket it alters your speedo &
makes it read even HIGHER, easily as much as
7 m.p.h. faster than it was stock. What I cant understand
is your comment about after adding the exhaust mods, etc.
& now you dint hit the rev limiter…makes no sense.
Are you sure this was not after you went down on the front
sprocket? That would explain being able to go over 190 &
not hitting the wall as you were not really going that fast
because the gear change affected your speedo…

The fastest (indicated) I have seen on my 01 is 180m.p.h.,
but that is because I have a dark tint DB instead of clear &
I can’t tuck & look through it thereby causing too much
drag. I used my GPS & checked my speedo, it is 8% off
at 100m.p.h. so I was figuring that was about 165 m.p.h
give or take….still WAY too fast for the street!!

just my .02.....Cam

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yeah I know it sounds iffy, but that's the way it happened!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you are racing in the 1/4 you won't ever reach 186mph. If you really want to spank some ass go 1 down in front and 2 up in back. You will come out of the hole like a rocket assuming you can keep it down. Full exhaust, rejet, etc. Most of the time the race is won in the first 2 gears as opposed to that bull**** they show in Bikerboyz.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well there is another way to keep the bike down there "Instigator", and that is to strap the front end down. I've droped a tooth in the front and gained 2 in the back , I have a muzzy pipe (slip on) k&n air filter and its been jetted I think stage 2?I run 1/8 mile track,and I usely run around 6.70's or high 6.60's.Do you know any thing that will help me get a better time,without useing nos? by the way I ride a 02 zx9r

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Extended swingarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.