Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a 2001 ZX6R that was given to me. It was put away in 2002 with 6k miles on it, and has been sitting ever since. I have been going through it getting all the fluids replaced and changing all the seals and things that will go from a bike sitting for that long!

I took apart the carbs, cleaned everything in the ultrasonic cleaner, everything turned out really nicely. I go to start it and nothing. So I sprayed a bit of starting fluid in the carbs and was able to get it started. Everything ran very nicely and sounded very good at 3-4k and above, but as soon as revs would drop below that the bike would stall and would only start with starting fluid with the same condition as above.

My usual bikes are 70s Hondas, so this is a bit fancier than what I am used to. So any direction would be appreciated!

Jericho

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add to this, I also can't seem to see the air mixture screws. I can see the needle tip in the carb, but where I imagine they should be it looks just like a slug of brass. Before I tried to attack that, I wanted to see if anyone has seen this before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, so trusting my gut and what I know about carbs. I went and removed the brass slugs. By slowly drilling them out (be VERY careful doing this!), then using a flat screw to pull them up and out. Who would have guessed that there is a mixture screw under there! Not sure why the brass plugs were there, but no longer.

So I replaced the mixture screws with a new set I had on hand and brought it back to stock settings (2.5 turns out according to the interwebs!). And the bike started up and idled! Having issues with it taking a while to come down back to idle, so I am thinking there is a vacuum leak somewhere, but that will be a issue for tomorrow!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From factory they are set terribly wrong....many time they are even set at 0 turns .....anyway, the plugs are for anti tampering via emission rules
Ahh, guessing they didnt install them on bikes in the 70s :D

Would you recommend a different setting to start out at?

Thanks!

Jericho

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since you said the bike wouldn’t run at all below mid-RPM levels, it’s worth checking your pilot jets too. You cleaned the carbs, are you sure you got those cleared out? Their orifices are tiny and it does not take much to plug them. If I was cleaning those carbs, I would put all the jets in a metal container full of carb cleaner for 24 hrs min. And if course blow them out with compressed air. I’ve had good luck with this method.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since you said the bike wouldn’t run at all below mid-RPM levels, it’s worth checking your pilot jets too. You cleaned the carbs, are you sure you got those cleared out? Their orifices are tiny and it does not take much to plug them. If I was cleaning those carbs, I would put all the jets in a metal container full of carb cleaner for 24 hrs min. And if course blow them out with compressed air. I’ve had good luck with this method.
Oh it runs now after changing out the air mixture screws. Just slow to come down to idle, so I am thinking that theres a vacuum leak somewhere. The bike has been sitting for 20 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if some plastic has cracked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, so it is still not starting on its own (initially) after sitting for a bit, I need to shoot a little bit of starter fluid into the airbox. And then it will start and 'run'. After that I can kill it and start it up again. So not sure whats causing this initial issue.

On top of that it is running really poorly in the lower RPM range. Seems like its just losing spark on a cylinder or two. I replaced the plugs the other night and nothing. Old ones looked really good as well. Any ideas?

I recorded a video. I adjusted the idle slightly during the video, but other than that the bike died on its own.

Video

Thank you guys for trying to help me! This thing is like a spaceship and just not sure what on these new bikes could cause something like this.

Jericho

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to own a zx6…bought new 2000 Which I think was the model E. This service manual covers models zx600 D1, D2, D3, D4 and I believe E. I’m asking $35. Message me for details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts