Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a rebuilt 2001ZX6R. I was examing the headlights. Both are dual filament H4. Low beam both on, but high bean only the right one is on high and left remains on low. Is this normal? Can I modified it so on high beam both are on high? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Both should be on. Swap the bulbs and make sure one isn't burnt out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the swap tonight and found the left bulb is fine. Apparently it is designed that way, low beam both on, hi beam left low right high. Can I mod the wiring so both on high when I select high beam? Anybody?

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's not designed that way... My 2001 works fine for both bulbs low beam, BOTH bulbs hi. Perhaps you've got a bad wire or connection for your left hi beam?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an 00 and only one is on with Hi. I think its supposed to be that way. I even tested everything with a meter because I thought there was a problem to. But after hours of work and reading the wiring diagram I think only one should be on.

·
Registered
934 Posts
...Hours of work? Don't quit your day-job NOz. ;)

I too have the wiring diagrams directly from the 00-02 service manual and both bulbs SHOULD operate in the same manner.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Hey Rush,

Let me jump in too. On my '02 and on my buddies '01 both headlights light up as a set for low and both light as for a set on high.

So it sounds like you got a short or something.

Unless the US models are different than the Canadian models? Anyone? I'd think the wiring would be the same.

-Flash

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by BSHAP

...Hours of work? Don't quit your day-job NOz. ;)

I too have the wiring diagrams directly from the 00-02 service manual and both bulbs SHOULD operate in the same manner.
Trust me I'm not going anywhere.......
but now I need to go home and look at my damn lights again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I reviewed wiring digram and BSHAP is right. One just feeds off the other, so both should operate the same way. Now, which one is the high beam wire, W/R, BK/Y or the W/Y?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey guys, according to the diagrams U.S and Canadian models are wired the same.

...and the way that I am understanding the wiring diagram is that:

W/R is the High Beam
BK/Y is the Common (Ground)
W/Y is the Low Beam

However on the same page there's a Left Handlebar Switch Connections chart, Dimmer Switch Connections are as follows:

R/Y is Low
BL/Y is Common
R/BK is High

Now I've never opened mine up to see what colour wires are actually used, but I hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.