Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! A friend of mine here at work was looking at an '02 EX250 which unfortunately is not running due to the head gasket needs replacing. The asking was $999.00 obo but my friend offered $650. for it and thec seller accepted the offer. It has a clean title and this is what the ad says:

5k Miles
New Chain and tires.
Muzzy exhaust.
Need to replace cylinder gasket & rear suspension bracket.
Everything works fine. Clean title

Although I used to own one as my starter bike, it was running but this is the opposite so I wouldn't know what suggestion I should give him :)

Please let me know what you guys think for the price and the work that needs to be done and get it running. Is it worth it for the $$$$.

Thanks in advance for the advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi all! A friend of mine here at work was looking at an '02 EX250 which unfortunately is not running due to the head gasket needs replacing. The asking was $999.00 obo but my friend offered $650. for it and thec seller accepted the offer. It has a clean title and this is what the ad says:

5k Miles
New Chain and tires.
Muzzy exhaust.
Need to replace cylinder gasket & rear suspension bracket.
Everything works fine. Clean title

Although I used to own one as my starter bike, it was running but this is the opposite so I wouldn't know what suggestion I should give him :)

Please let me know what you guys think for the price and the work that needs to be done and get it running. Is it worth it for the $$$$.

Thanks in advance for the advice and suggestions.
I'm guessing this is his first bike... I would say bad idea. Your first bike should be something reliable that you can trust. Not a big project. I've done that myself... bought an '89 for dirt cheap to fix up and ride. The first day I rode it, the throttle stuck and I ate pavement :rolleyes: It would be better for him to save up a bit more cash and buy one in good running condition. That way he can focus on riding and eliminate the "is it supposed to be doing that?!" factor.

$650 is quite cheap for an '02. If it hasn't been down, then it's easily worth that much in parts. As far as it being a deal, it's only a good deal if you're a good mechanic. Head gaskets are easy and inexpensive if you really know what you're doing... if you don't, then it's going to be very expensive. And chances are there are a lot more problems with the bike that only a knowledgeable motorcycle mechanic is going to catch. And what's up with this "need to replace rear suspension bracket?" What was Evil Kanevil doing with the thing??

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't do it - I mean if he blew the head gasket it just begs the questions what the hell was he doing to that poor engine?

Besides like Knox stated you don't want someone elses headache especially as your first bike. Save up a bit more and get one thats fully working.

Good luck - trust me these bikes are kickass.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank much guys and yes Knox, it's going to be his first bike! He just sent my friend pics and you guys are right, he should just save up for a reliable one and since this is his first one, he wouldn't know anything about fixing one ;) Take care and thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts