Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago my bike started running poorly so I parked in a garage and left it untouched for a while.

Now I decided to get it running again. Drained old fuel, cleaned carbs, fuel petcock screen, replaced fuel line. Changed oil, coolant, brake fluid.

Put a new gas in and took it for a ride to be disappointed again. The bike did run with some hesitation at beginning of the throttle and the higher I went with the gears the less power I felt. I was able to get it maximum to about 70mph with WOT.

So I took the carbs out again - will try to do a more thoroughly cleaning. In the mean time I removed the plugs and the 3rd plug looked different from the other ones. The plugs are fairly new - I don't remember when I changed them, but they do not have many miles on them. Since they were out I did compression test also: All cylinders showed about 145psi when the 3rd about 130psi. Is this a problem?

Also the valves looked a bit gunk-up looking from the top where the carbs were.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you don't have a service manual already go buy one, worth its weight in gold. Until then, looks like you're running a little bit rich on cylinder #3. I would also recommend checking float bowl heights when you pull the carbs off again. That spec will be in the service manual. If that doesn't do the trick I would check valve clearances to make sure they are also within spec, that info will also be in a service manual. Just remember that you need to do that when the engine is COLD. Best of luck...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts