Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new user here -

Recently bought a minor project bike. As the title states, its a 2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic.

I had to replace the fuel pump, but reused the fuel pump housing assembly, the black plastic part around the pump, along with the fuel pressure regulator.

1. On the old pump and the new, there is NOT a third ground wire that I see in a lot of google images and forums. Does this model not have a third ground wire that I am missing? It was not in the new fuel pump kit, nor was there one on the old pump.

2. The new pump is labeled +/- at the connector on the pump itself, with two wires coming off of it identified as 1 positive and 1 negative. What I need to know, is which connectors on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly (where it is welded to the plate) are positive and negative. The wires change colors so much, I would rather confirm with you guys here than chance it. The two posts with screws on them are not labeled as +/-.

Pics attached and I will respond with further details if requested.

The pump was sitting in some old gas for quite a while, i did a very thorough tank cleaning and got all the rust out.

Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle part

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle tire Gas

Material property Bicycle part Gas Engineering Auto part

Automotive tire Tire Finger Bicycle accessory Bicycle part

Hand Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

·
Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
136 Posts

Pump Operating Voltage at Pump

Connections to Pump Connectors

Tester (+) → Y/R Lead

Tester (–) → BK/W Lead

So maybe two? It's not a definitive answer, but implies two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts