Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the sad mistake of leaving my 03 Z1000 outside for 2 days last week when the chance of rain was very low. Stupid me, because one evening a short ripper thunderstorm came up while I was away. Besides a small amount of water in the gas tank (I know how to fix that), now when I turn the key to the ON position I have no hots, like the battery was disconnected. If I turn it off and back on a zillion times, eventually I'll be able to see the lights come on/speedometer cycle over and back/ etc. Most time when this happens it goes right back off again a split-second later. If I'm lucky and it stays on, as soon as I hit the starter button everything goes off again.

1. Does this sound like some kind of short in the ignition switch itself? I have never had a problem like this before. The key turns freely in the lock.

2. If it is the switch, how do you remove it? The Kawasaki service manual doesn't cover jack S on this. It doesn't even list what to do if you have this problem.

3. Is it possible the switch could be taken off and dried?

Appreciate any suggestions here, thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You need special socket to remove the ignition. If you think there is water in the ignition get a can of aerosol electrical cleaner. Disconnect the battery. Usually there is a weep hole somewhere at a low point on the ignition housing that is accessible without having to remove the ignition. Flush the hell out of it and work the ignition on and off several times. Let it dry, hook up your battery and try again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts