Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm probably going to buy my friends virtually new 2003 ZX-6R. It has probably less then 500 miles on it (need to look at the milage tomorrow, if the battery isn't totally dead) and has not yet had the 'break in' service. However, it's also been sitting in his garage un-used for the past 2 years. If i do buy it, i'm going to have it towed to my local shop and have them replace oil, do some loobing, etc.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this bike sitting for so long being unused (ie, any seals drying out, fuel evaporation, etc??).

thnx

b

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well, replace your battery and put in some new oil and gasoline and you should be good to go. Take it easy though for a few hundred miles as the bike has been sitting for awhile, and there is most likely no oil on any of the internals. Don't be surprised if you burn a little oil also because the rings will have to reseat themselves. Hope this helps

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The gas may have become a little "Gummy" in carbs or injectors not quite sure what that bike has. Wouldnt hurt to clean them out!

·
Registered
409 Posts
feul injector cleaner, replace all fluids including the gass if u can. START TOTTALLLY FRESH and the break it in like you would a new bike. stay under 4000 for about 500 and the under 6000 for the next 500 miles...good luck

·
Registered
265 Posts
The bike is a total loss, its ruined. Just kidding man. Just change out the juices, battery, lube chain, tire pressure. Thats all.

Dont worry about breaking it in, its broken in already, just ride mild for like 10-20 miles, let sh#t circulate then rip it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Definanlty dont ride for 10 - 20 miles and then rip it, that is just stupid! As a mechanic those rings are dry and will have to be reseated. Ride like a normal break in period, dont just go out and rip it.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by h20-50
Definanlty dont ride for 10 - 20 miles and then rip it, that is just stupid! As a mechanic those rings are dry and will have to be reseated. Ride like a normal break in period, dont just go out and rip it.
x2!

I agree that it's a good idea to take it in to the dealership and have them give it the twice over though, if you're not mechanically inclined to do so yourself.. I would imagine that chain needs some maitenence as it's probably dry as a bone by now. Fluids would all need to be replaced... and the TIRES.. Has it been sitting on stands or on the ground? The tires might need to be replaced if they've been sitting in the same spot for that length of time.. but other than that, I don't think there's too much to worry about.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been sitting on the kick stand all this time. But, it sounds like just some fluids and a battery switch out at the shop and i'll be good to go. Excited, sold my cruiser about a month ago and wanted to get a sport bike, was actually looking at the F4i (but i really don't like the tail, heh)- and i remember my old boss had bought this zx-6r brand new 3 years back, but witnessed a couple crashes first couple times out and decided it wasn't worth it. I asked if he'd ever considering selling it and he was just like, "um, ok, it's yours". Offered him 5k and said i'd just take care of towing it away. I started reading this forum and all the RAVE reviews written about the 03' 636 and i'm totally sold. it sounds like an awsome bike. just gotta be careful above 8k rpms :) it's one of the best looking too.. even 3 years out. it's super aggressive, love the sharp lines..

it's gonna be weird riding it for the first time from the shop home. i don't even know where the ignition switch is. never ridden a sport bike before.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
It sounds like the former owner didn't do anything in terms of long-term storage. I really hope he at least took the gas out before calling it quits....

This may seem self-explanatory but no one else has brought it up....do not under any circumstances run that bike with 2 year old gasoline. Make sure all the gas is out and put fresh gas in there before riding anywhere.

Add that to what everyone else has said - oil, battery, etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The gas tank is very easy to take off and drain. Remove the rear seat cowl, then the 10mm bolt that holds the front seat on. Slide that bar over, and remove the front seat, disconnect the 2-3 rubber hoses on the back of the fuel tank.

Then remove the allen bolt at the front of the fuel tank, pivot the tank up, and disconnect the fuel hose underneath(pinch both sides of it, and pull.)

Then remove the pivot bolt, and it is off. Drain her out, and installation is the reversal of removal :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
new fluids, check for flat spots on tires. do proper break in and enjoy!!!!!

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
that bike is a death trap! tell me where it is so i can have a stern talk with the owner [}:)]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
btw: do you guys think $5k is a good price- if i pay for the towing and all the maintance (so really like $5300)

kellys bb is 5400 and nada is like 5100

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently (last month) bought an '03 with 726 miles on it. I paid $5k for it, and still think it was a steal. A SS bike not even completely broken in for that price is a good deal IMHO. Luckily for me, the previous owner did it run it around the block a bit to keep the battery charged, etc.
I immediately took it to the dealer for the first service and a check up. All was good, and now have more than 3K miles on it with no problems.
Be prepared for the ball crunch, lol!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Originally posted by h20-50
The gas may have become a little "Gummy" in carbs or injectors not quite sure what that bike has. Wouldnt hurt to clean them out!
03's are fuel injected but, just get everything checked out, don't half ass it cause you may be sorry later

·
Registered
34 Posts
most important, suspension and suspension rubbers... long time parked bikes the suspension seals, ect... will get damaged.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.