Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has opened up their stock exhust can and takin the packing out of it? If so is it much louder? and are their any flat spots in performance? I know the best thing to do is to get a new full exhaust but while I wait I'd like something a little louder then a big sewing machine!

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Uhhhhhhhh [V]

Well, why not just remove the whole slip on system? I guarantee it's loud.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know how you canooks run thigs up there but here we need our mufflers on. Any one have a real answer here?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would like an answer to this question as well cause I know that most other bikes perform better without the stock exhaust can attached but the stock system is a half slip-on so you cannot jsut remove the canister it self and I feel that if you remove the whole slip-on half back you WILL loose power..

Small But Quick As Hell

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Guys, maybe I wasn't clear. I was being sarcastic. Hence the "Uhhhhhhh" and the smilie (frownie?)... I don't recommend anybody takes off their slip on exhaust system. However, it would accomplish Tommy's goal of having the loudest bike on the block. Blah blah blah. Tommy's response to my first post says it all to me. No offense, Tommy, but I just shake my head at half the stuff you post. ;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJ, Also no offense: You probably just don't understand half the shit anyone says. It's OK to have ridden the small school bus as a child.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i think you would have to debaffle the stock exhuast right...there isn't packing in it...it's not a straight can like the aftermarkets.

ofcourse i might be wrong....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

DJ, Also no offense: You probably just don't understand half the shit anyone says. It's OK to have ridden the small school bus as a child.

FYI: Dj is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board. If he rode in the short bus, then I would hate to think what many rode in.;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
[:0][:0]Hold on a second now. I thought I was the one who rode the short A/C bus to school and licked the windows?!?!?![:eek:)] I didn't know I had a brother in stutters around here! hey DJ, what type of mouth piece and helmet did you get issued for the bus ride??:D:D

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
ROFL... this is going south in a hurry isn't it?

First, speedv, appreciate the compliment, but realistically this forum is FULL of more knowledgeable people than me, and that's the beauty of it, you have SO many people offering help on every topic.

Regarding the small school bus, we called 'em "short busses" back when I was riding 'em... they always told me I was one of the more "gifted" ones on the bus (except for this one guy who kept licking the windows - oh HEY Elto!!!) Ah, those were the days... I remember we used to take the packing out of the muffler... sounded sweet. But I digress...

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie

First, speedv, appreciate the compliment, but realistically this forum is FULL of more knowledgeable people than me, and that's the beauty of it, you have SO many people offering help on every topic.
Hey, I was just trying to make you look good! I know you're really clueless in actuality.[:p] hehe
I was trying to boost your self-esteem. Isn't that what people are supposed to do to short bus riders???:D

LOL

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
ok ok....does a stock exhuast have a baffle or packing? or both? someone edgeumakate me....

I always hear about guys debaffling their pipes.....and I know this is different then just removing packing...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Speedv, LOL, thanks! I, uh, think ???

Oh well, gotta run... bus is here... [^]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, stock pipes do have baffles. The baffles can be cut out of the stock pipe with minimal effects on the performance of the motor, if done correctly. However, if too much of the baffles are removed then the engine will not be able to get enough back pressure. This will cause the engine to start hard, and be a little sluggish off the line. It will not affect the performance of the engine after it is out of first. The back pressure is needed for good launch and easy starting. It is always a good idea to leave them alone and simply swap it out with an aftermarket system.

'98 ZX6R
"Ride Hard or Go Home"

·
Registered
126 Posts
I gotta agree with Andy on this one. If you look into a race can you most likely see a perforated spiraling tube that goes straight through to the other side. Have you ever looked into the stock exhaust tip? You don't see much. That's because the can has a baffle system throughout...in addition to that I think the system is also surrounded by sound insulation. Pulling it apart would not only not really accomplish anything...but would be a mess to figure out!

Andy: People who debaffle their cans most likely just punch the shit outta the baffle system till they gut it out...and then put back together. It doesn't end up too smoothly in there however... the flow throughout can't be as good as the tuned pipe inside a race can. I know on DSM's (my car) people gut their cats using a similar method (mine included) to decrease backpressure to inhibit the turbo.. but that is a little easier because the material packed into a cat isn't metal. I'm not sure what the baffles in a can are made of but they gotta be harder than gutting out a cat.

Tommy: Get a cheapo straight through bolton / slip on race can. IMO every race can gives similar results regardless of price. Some do have different levels of sound insulator...but they all follow basically the same design...attach pipe to exhaust pipe...poke holes throughout...wrap in sound insulator and then wrap the whole package in outside can.

But don't fuck with your stock can! If you wanna get pulled over for being too loud unbolt your end can and drive around a bit...but I wouldn't do it too long...can't be good for the bike. ;)

Phil
1998 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja
Let the good times roll!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"I know on DSM's (my car) people gut their cats using a similar method (mine included) to decrease backpressure to inhibit the turbo.. but that is a little easier because the material packed into a cat isn't metal. I'm not sure what the baffles in a can are made of but they gotta be harder than gutting out a cat."

fill me in on this procedure...any good resource online? I have a 92 eagle talon Tsi ;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have always hollowed out the cats on my cars, You dont want to take the cat off on a car because of inspection and if you get pulled over the officer can actually check under your car for your cat. the fine where I live is $1000 for every missing cat. Newer mustangs have 4 cats, that would be a $4,000 fine if cought. Thats the reasoning for holowing them out. Also If you dont have a v8 or at least a turbo or super charger I would just leave it intact for your car. You wouldn't see any differance if you had a 4 or 6 cylinder. I dont know if you guys know but there is actually a cat in the 03 636. I am 99% sure that the cat is inside the actual stock can. I guess I am just going to leave my stock can alone until I get my akrapovic full system for it. Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
cats are on my 2002 zx-6r too...inside the can according to my manual....

what kinda perfomance would I be getting in my car (92 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo) if I hollowed out my cats? it's 2.0 turbo making like ~210 HP I think?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.