Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant believe its almost a year to the day but here it goes.....

2003 636 zx6r just over 24k

Noticed at a stop light that I didnt have headlights again..
Got to work checked the fuses. they were good
Purchased new bulbs in case.
Last time had issue is when I started bike and let it run for a few minutes the head lights would come on.

This time that wasnt the case, my ride home is an hour one way and didnt have them when I got home so knew it wasnt recitifer.

I swapped junction boxes with race bike. Same year and make.

Had lights on for a moment, shut the bike off restarted no lights.

I read somewhere online here that maybe the engine cut off switch might be culprit. but have no issues in bike starting.

Wiring look good

checked connections, all seem snugged.

replaced bulbs.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, had enough coffee in my to dive deeper into the wonders of electrical gremlins.

have continuity at the headlights via the connection on riders right by the headlight bezel.

had bike running got a -33 mv from the multi tester at the same point. I tested the end that is coming from under the seat since I just tested the other half of the connection.

rechecked fuse, it was good

now the interesting part.

I checked the wires going into the junction box and came across something.
the red wire with black stripe and green dots did not have continuity when using battery negative as a ground.
I did have continuity when checking the blue wire with yellow stripe and green dots again using battery negative as ground.

All the headlights and front turn signals use the same wire for a ground. I do have turn signals front and back. but not have a circuit to the low beam will stop me from having high beam? also there is no high beam light on instrument panel.

Again looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
What's going in man. I understand how frustrating this can be..I had so many issues with my headlight..I did the same diagnosis you did...So I'm done with it and decided to but a new wiring harness..Issue fixed..EIGHT months I wasted and became highly frustrated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts