Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 ZX6R 636. Never had a problem till now. It started running bad when I started it the other day. Backfired a few times and would just die but would start back up. Well now it wont fire at all and it is throwing a lot of codes. Thought maybe a plug was wet so I checked all the plugs and fuses but didn't find anything. the codes it gave me are 12, 13, 14, 15, 23. 32, 51,52,53.inlet air pressure sensor, inlet air temp sensor, water temp sensor, atmospheric pressure sensor , camshaft position sensor, sub throttle sensor and coil 1 coil 2 coil 3 misfire. on all of them it says malfunction or open wire, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Pursebully
39,022 Posts
Check your electrical connections. It sounds like a harness plug is disconnected or there is harness damage. Was it stored over the winter? Could mice have gotten in to the wiring?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your electrical connections. It sounds like a harness plug is disconnected or there is harness damage. Was it stored over the winter? Could mice have gotten in to the wiring?
No it was in my driveway under a car port. i ride it all year because just doesn't get very cold here. i checked all the connectors but i didn't really look at the wiring. I had just rode it the day before that is why itr seemed strange

·
Pursebully
39,022 Posts
No it was in my driveway under a car port. i ride it all year because just doesn't get very cold here. i checked all the connectors but i didn't really look at the wiring. I had just rode it the day before that is why itr seemed strange
It feels to me like the ECU is not seeing the engine sensors. Pull the seat, tank, and airbox and locate the harness that encompasses the engine. All of the sensors will be plugged into this harness. Trace this harness back to the ECU and make sure everything is plugged in and tight. If everything is connected there may be a supply voltage or reference ground problem. I don't know off the top of my head what voltages your sensors use, but in the automotive world most of them are on 5 volt circuits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It feels to me like the ECU is not seeing the engine sensors. Pull the seat, tank, and airbox and locate the harness that encompasses the engine. All of the sensors will be plugged into this harness. Trace this harness back to the ECU and make sure everything is plugged in and tight. If everything is connected there may be a supply voltage or reference ground problem. I don't know off the top of my head what voltages your sensors use, but in the automotive world most of them are on 5 volt circuits.
Thanks I will try that now and let you know. thanks again I appreciate the info

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I checked every connector that was under the tank and under the seat, checked all the wiring, charged the battery just incase . When it turns over the fi light blinks. Could it be in the ignition or maybe a bad ECU? I have seen a lot of people having the same problem but have not seen anybody post a solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you
Well I checked every connector that was under the tank and under the seat, checked all the wiring, charged the battery just incase . When it turns over the fi light blinks. Could it be in the ignition or maybe a bad ECU? I have seen a lot of people having the same problem but have not seen anybody post a solution.
Ok got the problem fixed but it doesn't make sense. Found a plug that goes to the controls on the left side of handle bars that looked like a dirty battery connection. Cleaned it up and still didn't start. Then i cleaned the switch on the kick stand and now it's running great. The part i don't understand is the plug that i cleaned up can be unplugged and the bike still starts. The switch on the kick stand only kills the bike if it's in gear. So not sure but those are the only two things i did to get it thinking. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it

·
Pursebully
39,022 Posts
I'm puzzled as well. Neither would have thrown all of the sensor codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm puzzled as well. Neither would have thrown all of the sensor codes.
That's what i thought. Most seemed to be the kick stand switch. It was covered in grease for some reason. I cleaned it and the bike is actually running better now than it evar has. It doesn't pop anymore when i let off the throttle. As long as it keeps running like this i'm not going to question it. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts