Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
yes you can, 3 oils i highly suggest that ive used & not had any problems, Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40, Mobile 1 synthetic 10w40 and Amsoil synthetic 10w40...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
yes you can, 3 oils i highly suggest that ive used & not had any problems, Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40, Mobile 1 synthetic 10w40 and Amsoil synthetic 10w40...
+1 i use 10w 40 Mobile 1 synthetic motorcycle (super smooth shifts) in my ride hard but with love bikes and Castrol 10-40 motorcycle oil in my commuters / new breaking in bikes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
3 oils i highly suggest that ive used & not had any problems, Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40.
:Damn: Please DO NOT use Rotella in your SPORT BIKE! No matter what people wanna believe, Rotella is designed for Diesel trucks, Big rigs, etc. NOT for sport bikes.

On a positive note. You can use any motorcycle (to be specific Sport bike) specific oil. There are a lot to choose from whether you prefer dino oil, or synthetic. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
104 Posts
:Damn: Please DO NOT use Rotella in your SPORT BIKE! No matter what people wanna believe, Rotella is designed for Diesel trucks, Big rigs, etc. NOT for sport bikes.

On a positive note. You can use any motorcycle (to be specific Sport bike) specific oil. There are a lot to choose from whether you prefer dino oil, or synthetic. Happy shopping!
Yea, I've been using Rotella in my old Honda F3 for a while now. Everybody use to recommend it. 5w-40.

I was just about to do my first change on the 636, and was going to use Rotella 15w-40, as I've see that recommended here as well a good bit.

On a side note, which would be a better choice for the NYC area? I know the difference is viscosity under cold temperatures correct? The 40 being the hot oil viscosity? 5 or 15... what to choose and why?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

WHY !!! ive used rotella in my bike and never had a problem with clutch slippage and i street & track my bike...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Then how did Shell get the MA rating on 2 varieties of Rotella?
You'd have to ask Shell or do some research on that one.
Again, I could care less about what people put in their bikes, but I for one do not want to buy a used bike that people have been throwing random oils, fuel, coolant, etc. They make bike specific oil for a reason. Some bikes don't have a wet clutch and in that case Rotella may be okay. It's not a bad oil. But it isn't designed for high output super sports, or Shell would have already raised prices on it to $10+ a quart. They are an oil company, they will do anything to make a buck. And if they aren't promoting use of the Rotella oil for motorcycles, it's probably because they don't wanna be held liable for destroying motors, clutches, and transmissions. Again, take this for what you like, but Rotella WILL NEVER be ran in one of my sport bikes.

Shells website:
- Rotella home page

·
Registered
113 Posts
WHY !!! ive used rotella in my bike and never had a problem with clutch slippage and i street & track my bike...
some people also run 87 octane fuel in their bikes and claim no signs of detonation, or lack of performance either. Would you run 87 octane fuel in your bike? It's not the issues of CAN you run that type of oil, but SHOULD you run it? You can put distilled water in your bike and run it just fine. But over extended periods of time without proper coolant, or at least some water wetter, you will destroy your cooling system. Again, I'm not stating it doesn't work, just stating it shouldn't be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or in my personal opinion even last choice of oil to put into a race replica bike.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
some people also run 87 octane fuel in their bikes and claim no signs of detonation, or lack of performance either. Would you run 87 octane fuel in your bike? It's not the issues of CAN you run that type of oil, but SHOULD you run it? You can put distilled water in your bike and run it just fine. But over extended periods of time without proper coolant, or at least some water wetter, you will destroy your cooling system. Again, I'm not stating it doesn't work, just stating it shouldn't be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or in my personal opinion even last choice of oil to put into a race replica bike.
What about bikes that are designed to run 87 IE: 650r's would you say the manufacture of the bikes would tell you to run the wrong stuff?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
actually my bike has been tune for 87 octane and when im at the strip im either useing that or MR9... but you can use wat you want but i no ive used rotella and never had a problem...

·
Registered
113 Posts
What about bikes that are designed to run 87 IE: 650r's would you say the manufacture of the bikes would tell you to run the wrong stuff?
COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

We are talking about zx6r/zx6rr. You cannot compare a super sport, to a "city bike." comparing a 650r to a zx6 is like comparing a Prius to a Supra. (The Prius runs fine on 87 octane, were a twin turbo Supra needs at least 91). Some peoples kids...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts