Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I am a newbie here, and with bikes.

I have a 2004 Ninja 500 that sat in my garage for 8 years. I had the key made, cleaned the tank,cleaned the carbs. It came to life after 8 years in the shadow of a garage 4 days ago. It fired right up with the choke and It's amazing to hear that engine run. Problem: it dies when I "close the choke?" (When I remove the choke). However I can rev it up, then close off the choke, and continues to rev up when given throttle, but throttle response lags a bit. It stalls when I let go of the handle. It doesn't iddle.

My guesses: a vacuum leak somewhere, or bad fuel/air mixture setting (though it could be caused by a leak).

I need Help. How do I start troubleshooting?
How do I check for vacuum leaks? Where is the mixture adjustment screw?
What is the long knob on the bottom of the carburator for? (I moved it today)

Any ideas will Help. Thanks a lot!

Oardila

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
Oh boy, I had a similar problem.. My carb was FUBAR'd due to gelled fuel, contaminents, wrong jetting and a torn diaphragm.

Sounds like the either the idle circuit is clogged still or the idle speed screw (the long knob on the bottom of the carb) was set too low

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh boy, I had a similar problem.. My carb was FUBAR'd due to gelled fuel, contaminents, wrong jetting and a torn diaphragm.

Sounds like the either the idle circuit is clogged still or the idle speed screw (the long knob on the bottom of the carb) was set too low
If the idle screw is set too low, will the bike not stay on? Will it stall?

Additionally, I just discovered that when I spray the hose seen in the picture, which is located under the carburetor, it has squared corners, and it is attached from the air box to another round component underneath. When I spray the lower booth of that hose with starter fluid, the bike revs up a couple thousand RMP. What is this hose, what is it's function, and would this be the source of my problems?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts