16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things I've done:
Thoroughly cleaned the carburetor
Put in new spark plugs
Changed the oil
Brand new battery
New fuel petcock
1 can of seafoam (with 1 1/2 gallons in tank)

I have no idea what else to do. I'm just thinking about selling the bike again. If we spray a bit of starter fluid the bike starts up but shuts off by itself seconds later. I've done everything the internet told me. Took the plugs out yesterday to torque them in and one was already black at the tip. Any reason why? I'm completely stumped and just feel like giving up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about checking the vavle timing? Does the bike back fire or does the cylinder ping? Will the starter turn the cylinders over (to check that remove the spark plugs and see if the cylinder displaces the air through the spark hole)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
a whole can of seafoam? That's more than enough for a car. read directions much?

Not the whole problem but I'd say you O.D.'d on the SeaFoam there bud.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
If it runs on starter fluid, but not by itself there is a furlong or vacuum problem. Check the carbs again and look for air leaks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it's a vacuum leak since I went ahead and sucked air out of the vacuum line while trying to start it but no luck.

What I will do is remove the plugs. Clean them and put them back. Is there a torque spec on the plugs?

I will also drain the carbs and gas tank and put a fresh gallon of gas. Hopefully it works. The fuel filter in the main gas line looked okay so I'm not worried about that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already cleaned all the jets in the carb. I believe there was a total of two jets and both were clogged. The mixture or seafoam and gas have been in the tank for about a week. I plan on removing the plugs, cleaning them and putting them back in with a fresh tank of GAS ONLY. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems like that worked! The bike will stay on with the choke all the way up even when I rev it a bit. Now the only thing I have to figure out is why there is smokw coming from the bottom of where you put the oil. Maybe too much oil? I will also put A BIT of seafoam through the gas tank to see if it'll idle normally.

Thanks for the help! Already loving this forum since you guys helped start the bike. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts