Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes nothing:

Hello fellow Kawi enthusiast. I'm a new member but not new to surfing these forums for possible assistance. I'm hoping someone could possibly guide me in the right direction. I'm currently having issues with my somewhat newly acquired 2004 ZX10r that I got in a straight trade for a 2004 CBR600rr I previously owned. I will start from the beginning.
I traded on Christmas eve for this ZX10r. I test rode the bike and it rode like a scolded dog (spun the rear tire shifting into 3rd gear). The previous owner mentioned he hit an armadillo a little while back in which the radiator needed to be replaced (which he did). Might I mention, it wasn't mounted correctly. Also the valve cover gasket was leaking some, I hear is a common thing with Gen 1. So I knew I would break the bike down soon to address these issues. This is where everything went down hill.
I rode the bike December 26th and she started to run like she was starving for fuel. Would not rev over 3k rpm as well as barely idle. I limped her home and started dismantling her. I started doing an in-depth inspection of the bike in which I found out the frame was cracked. This was not visible with the fairings on. The fun starts. Here is a list of everything I replaced or addressed from that point on:

Replaced Coils
Replaced Plugs
Replaced Right side engine mount (it was cracked)
Replaced valve cover gasket
Had the frame welded up by a certified welder
Replaced exhaust butterfly servo (mine was missing the head that spins)

I figured the issue had to be the coils or plugs because the kid said he has never changed them. Once everything was replaced the bike did not run any better. No FI codes were thrown. I read everywhere online that fuel pumps for these bad boys were fairly problematic so I went ahead and ordered a replacement aftermarket pump (just the pump, not the assembly) so that I could retrofit the existing fuel pump assembly. THE BIKE RAN PERFECT! and then I got her up to 90 mph on the test ride and the issues started all over again. Now I was getting FI code 46. FI code 46 correlates to the fuel pump relay stuck open. I replaced the relays to no avail. I went ahead and got a couple of great deals on used sensor (MAP, Air check valve, Air intake temp sensor, Pulse sensor) and replaced them all. NOTHING! So I decided to throw a new ECU into the mix, STILL NO CHANGE. As a last ditch effort I man-ed up and dropped the $400 on a brand new fuel pump from Kawi because I read on forums besides the strainer on the fuel pump assembly there is a second filter inside of the black part of the assembly that you cannot service. I replaced it today with the new fuel pump assembly. I fired the bike up and it idled just fine. I took the battery out because it was not properly placed in the bike. Slapped on all of the fairings and geared up for the test ride. Turned the key AND THE FUEL PUMP DID NOT PRIME! Now I have FI code 45. Is there anyone with any advice as to where I should look next? I'd greatly appreciate any help. I just want to get her back on the road. Thank you in advance, you all are the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I slapped a new relay box on it and fixed the issue temporarily. I've got the fi code 45 back. That makes the 3rd relay box. Once a relay throws a code is it reusable? Also clearly something is blowing each relay box I have gone through so I started investigating the wiring. I started at the kill switch and found a red wire pinched and exposed. I cut the wire back to exposed good copper, stripped it, soldered it and heat wrapped it all back together. Could this be the culprit? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel your pain mate, sorry I can't help...sounds like you've gone through the whole bike with this..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts