Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone -

Sport Rider Magazine's suggestion for the rear compression damping setting is 23 clicks out from closed (twenty three) on the OEM shock.

The 2004 ZX6-RR owner's manual says 3 2/4 turns out. I assume that's meant to be 3 1/2 turns out - there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between Sport Rider's suggestion of 23 clicks out, and the owner's manual suggestion of 3 1/2 turns out.

What doesn't make sense is the difference in rebound settings between the owner's manual, and Sport Rider Magazine. Sport Rider says only 10 clicks out from closed for the rebound setting, but the Kawasaki owner's manual says 4 1/4 turns out from closed. I'm wondering if there's a typo, and what publication is correct.

What's your experience?

nummy

·
Registered
651 Posts
When I had stock suspension on my '04 ZX6R, with sag set at ~1", the rear compression was set at 2 turns out, the rebound was set at 1.5 turns out.
170 lb rider, mostly riding canyons and trackdays. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had stock suspension on my '04 ZX6R, with sag set at ~1", the rear compression was set at 2 turns out, the rebound was set at 1.5 turns out.
170 lb rider, mostly riding canyons and trackdays. Hope this helps.
Hey there bsgesch -

I set mine even softer than you did, and I had an extremely nervous ride on the track this past weekend. (it's too stiff) I'm slightly lighter than you wearing all my gear.

I'm considering a rear shock replacement. If you have time, check out my thread asking for suggestions:
http://www.kawiforums.com/zx-6r-all-model-years/268385-2004-zx6rr-shock-replacement-options.html

Thanks !

nummy

·
Pursebully
37,528 Posts
There is really no textbook settings for compression/rebound damping. This setting varies by bike, personal preference, track/road conditions, etc. It's something that is adjusted by feel. Ride the bike, adjust, ride again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There is really no textbook settings for compression/rebound damping. This setting varies by bike, personal preference, track/road conditions, etc. It's something that is adjusted by feel. Ride the bike, adjust, ride again.
Yup - been track riding for several years, and have enjoyed tinkering with different suspesison settings at various tracks.

The problem is that I'm basicaly out of adjustment-options with the OEM shock on my 2004 ZX6RR.....it's stiff, to say the least. I'm also spoiled from having a Penske on my old track bike.

nummy

·
Sportbikes rock!
331 Posts
Yup - been track riding for several years, and have enjoyed tinkering with different suspesison settings at various tracks.

The problem is that I'm basicaly out of adjustment-options with the OEM shock on my 2004 ZX6RR.....it's stiff, to say the least. I'm also spoiled from having a Penske on my old track bike.

nummy

Have you ever serviced the shock from your 2004?

It is currently 2013 so trying to adjust a 9 year old rear damper that has never been serviced may be pointless due to age, wear, etc. The minimum that I would suggest for track days would be to revalve and respring the OEM unit for your weight/preferences AND service it every year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts