Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone -

Most of what I've heard regarding the rear shock on a 2004 ZX6RR became reality for me this past weekend - it was stiffly sprung, and had little adjustment to soften it up. I had a tough time adapting to the harsh-ride while attending a track day during the Labor Day weekend at Autobahn.

I was told a shock from 2005 to 2009 ZX6R / ZX6RR models will bolt directly into place. Is that true?

If it is true, what years are the most desireable?......anything would probably be an improvement over the stock unit. I followed the Sport Rider Magazine reccomendations. 23 clicks out was their suggestion, and ironically, that was the entire backed-out range of the unit.

If someone out there has successfully done this to a 2004 ZX6RR, what year did you install, and were any modifications required?......bolts, bones, bearings, etc.....

As always, thanks for your help and suggestions !

nummy

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
I ran aftermarket, Ohlins specifically, so I have no experience putting other OEM stuff on. With that being said, if you're investing in suspension components, I'd highly recommend starting with the forks first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran aftermarket, Ohlins specifically, so I have no experience putting other OEM stuff on. With that being said, if you're investing in suspension components, I'd highly recommend starting with the forks first.
I have no problem with the OEM front end......I like how it feels, and I don't have a steering damper installed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone ?

Will a shock from a 2005 and newer ZX6R fit on a 2004 ZX6RR without modifications?

I have found dozens of late-model OEM used shocks out there for sale, but will they fit on my older 2004 ZX6RR ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know the answer?

Will a shock from a 2005 and newer ZX6R fit on a 2004 ZX6RR without modifications?

I have found dozens of late-model OEM used shocks out there for sale, but will they fit on my older 2004 ZX6RR ?

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Green -

The more I dug into this, it would probably make more sense for me to go with a 2009 or newer shock because of the high speed/low speed damping option, as well as a softer spring.....so I'm sure this conversion would be even more difficult. It might also be harder to track down information regarding anyone who has successfully done it.

It's looking like an after-market shock might be the best option, but my pace and riding ability probably doesn't justify it !

If you know anyone who has done a 2009 and newer conversion, please steer me in their direction.

Thanks again for you help !

nummy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Success !

I was able to purchase a "zero-miles" rear shock from a 2012 Kawasaki ZX6R that was purchased new, and immediately converted to a track-only bike.

WOW - I could notice the improvement by turn #3 on the north course at Autobahn.

As described in various threads, a few modifications had to be made regarding a new center-bolt and dust seals, (32 mm vs. 30 mm) but that was about it. I like the idea of being able to use the 2004 ZX6RR link because of the grease zerks.

I set the compression and rebound damping to what Sport Rider Magazine suggested, and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Thanks for your help everyone !

nummy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts