Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few posts on this topic already, but any information on this topic I've seen so far is mostly just a bunch of gibberish. No one uses fact or details to explain the Kit Ecu. I know what an ECU is and have an extensive backround in automotive mechanics. But what I am wondering is where I can find some detailed information about the Race/Kit ECU. I have searched online but can't seam to find any information on it. Again everything I've read so far just seems to be opinions comparing the ECU kit to the power commander and the price difference between the two. Then you get people who say it added 10hp, with the next person saying it didn't do a thing. It has to have a positive effect on your bikes performance. By changing to a modified ECU, your basically doing the same thing as changing the prom chip in a car's ECU. So I don't know how some of you say that did the swap and saw no difference. Anyway enough rambling from me, if anyone has some detailed information or real world performance on the Race ECU I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Kit ECU for my 6R with an Akra slip-on and PC3 running zero map. It's definitely running lean so I've got an dyno tune appointment with Mike Valesco (Freddie Spencer's GP tuner) in Seattle on the 16th so I will post up my dyno chart then.

As for what I know, the Kit is designed for and has a tuned fuel map for the 6RR running a full exhaust (for BEET and possibly with all the race kit goodies you can buy from Kawi in mind), bumps up redline 800 RPM (possibly 1000 RPM), advances the ignition and disables the secondary butterfly values (except on start up). The aforementioned items are adjustible with the proper wire harness within the kit ECU.

From a more subjective stand point, it definitely pulls harder than before the Kit with a PC3 custom map and wire mod done and pulls all the way past the "indicated" tach limiter. It's funny to see all the bars lit up in the tach, shift light blaring and still no bouncing off the limiter :D

Anybody else wanna share their experiences? - Stephen

·
Registered
683 Posts
As per Cycleworld magazine May 2005 issue, a 2005 Zx-6R with race kit ECU and akra pipe was 115.7 hp. Stock ZX-6R was 111.6 hp.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See now this is what I'm talking about. While Chewysc's info is helpful and yours as well Styles, I feel like we're back to square one. I have heard that the Akra slip-on can add 2-3 hp alone. So how is it that with an Akra slip-on and the Kit ECU you only get 4.1 additional hp? Again thank you both for the great info, but something doesn't add up here. I guess the main idea is the extra room you get in the RPM range before reaching redline. In your experience is it worth the money if you don't race and just want a little extra juice or would a power commander and wire mod be sufficient? Thanks again guys for the info.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I understand your dilemma as I think you're asking the question of which mod will give me the most bang for your buck right?

Well, if I remember correctly, Advanced Kawisaki posted that he would choose a slip on and PC3 with a well tuned map over the Kit ECU. I would tend to agree with him there as you would get the most out of what you had and the performance would be close though I think the Kit would still have the upper hand and definitely more headroom as there's still tuning to be done for a 636.

That said, the Kit really made my bike a monster with the extra rpm range! There is absolutely no hint of power leveling off at the top until you hit the rev limiter (yes, it pulls harder than the wire mod IMHO). I was surprised at the power gain up top and I wore a huge grin on my face all the way home from "testing". Now bear in mind that I bought an used ECU for about half the price of new so yah, I was very pleased with my purchase.

Where my bike pulled 110.5 on the last dyno run before the ECU (w/ akra slip, wire mod, PC3 with Tweakmon's map (good map btw, though a little rich for me)), I now suspect that it's pulling about 115 (but I honestly can't tell you for sure). To give you some idea of what that means, a stock 6r pulled 105 two hours earlier and a race 6rr on U4 gas pulled 99 before a kit and then 119 [:0] with a kit!

Hope that's a little more helpful. I will post dyno charts in about a week and a bit.

·
Registered
628 Posts
IF you read what is said about it in the Advanced forum you'll note that the gains give to the 6R are less thatn the 6RR. I have a kit ECU and A Full Akra Evo system, when I just had the pipe and was waitng for the ECU, the bike went from 99.8 - 102.1hp. then with the ECU I got it to 110hp, and then with it mapped properly and ignition advance I got it to 115. This is not BS. I have had it mapped bye Jeff Ware at Cycle Max here in TO, he has the neccesary program, and harness. I will have the bike ported and polished this off season. I didn't adjust the RPM range though, maybe this winter. The ECU offers a pit speed limiter as well, and if you have enough money, you can also have a couple of different maps to choose from on the fly. Hope this helps further

·
Registered
683 Posts
Originally posted by stainer85
Excellent information gentlemen. This does help clear things up. Thank you very much.
Stainer 85, don't mean to add confusion but I just picked up October 2006 Sport Rider mag page 82 and a racer with an '05 6RR used the race kit ECU and gained 8hp by itself. I feel your pain, I've been hearing conflicting info as well. Just as mentioned above, the power gain is different between 6R and 6RR, that's my guess. Good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the full Akrapovic Evolution system and gained approx 10 HP when I installed the race kit ECU. Without any custom mapping it put out 107 HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.