Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new here and am having a problem starting my bike.
I turn the key and all lights come on and fuel pump primes fine, then when I push the start button the fuel pump engages but nothing else happens, no engine turnover, no starting motor turning, nothing.

Please help
Thank you andrew

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is the Green Neutral light on the dash lit up when you try to start the Bike ?
Is the Battery fully charged and in good order ?
How many Miles on the clock ?
Have you tried sitting on the Bike with the side stand up and the clutch pulled in ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi KevA

The neutral light is on, the battery was brought new on friday and I have the clutch pulled in and nothing. Not tried the kick stand up tho.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK Neutral light on and clutch pulled in has cleared the safety lock out side of things so no need to try with the stand up.

How many Miles ?

What info have you got leading up to the issue as you replaced the Battery, Was it toast or did you assume that was the problem?
Has it played up before it stopped starting ?
Is she stock with no mods ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has 30300 miles on her, the battery was shot.

One day a while ago she just stopped starting, it's just s bit of that the pump kicks in but nothing else.

Shes stock

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not a problem : (y)
I need some initial readings, So grab your Meter and set the range to 20VDC (if your unsure take a picture of your meter and attach it here or let us have the model number and we can go from there)
1) Battery Voltage
Attach Red proble from meter to Battery +
Attach Black probe from meter to Battery -
Post reading.
2) Battery Voltage Ignition on.
Leave meter probes attached to Battery as above for this test.
Post reading
3) Battery Voltage Ignition on and starter button pressed and held in.
Again leave meter probes attached to Battery as above test.
Post reading

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK at least it's alive.
My suspicion now lies with the stupid Earth points Kawasaki experimented with and one I've had issues with before on your Model but we need to test some more.
See attached picture of the Starter Relay.
I need you to set the Meter to 20vdc again.
1) Attach black probe to Battery -
Red probe to the Yellow/Red wire going into the Relay.
Switch the Ignition on and press the start button, Keep it pressed and post what reading you get.

2) Now attach Black probe to Black/Yellow wire at the Relay.
Red wire keep attached to the Yellow/Red wire at Relay.
Ignition on and press and hod start button again and post readings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm away from the bike for a few days now for work but I'll jump on it as soon as I get back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys I'm new here and am having a problem starting my bike.
I turn the key and all lights come on and fuel pump primes fine, then when I push the start button the fuel pump engages but nothing else happens, no engine turnover, no starting motor turning, nothing.

Please help
Thank you andrew
Loose battery connection, or bad starter relay where your 30amp main fuse is

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Bulldog187,

It has a brand new relay and if that was the case the pump wouldn't prime on the button and if it was a loose battery connection it wouldn't turn on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds logical, I've had quite a few bikes do this with a bad connection. Everything turns on, but when the starter engages, the connection isn't strong enough for the current. It was a thought. Goodluck bud, I hope u figure it out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks bud, any advice is better than no advice. It sounds like KevA will have me sorted in no time.

Sounds logical, I've had quite a few bikes do this with a bad connection. Everything turns on, but when the starter engages, the connection isn't strong enough for the current. It was a thought. Goodluck bud, I hope u figure it out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ik my brother's did the same thing he had to replace the starter because he busted it in a wreck but the insurance company had their inspectors (mechanics) look at it and they said just needs a new paint job but then he tried starting the week after and it didn't do anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts