Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy an '05-'06 ZX6R. Had one for about four years, had to sell (instantly hated myself for it) and now I'm back in the market.

I'm checking one out with 40k miles. In Arizona - many people commute daily throughout most of the year and it isn't uncommon to have sport bikes or cruisers with 20k, 30k, or higher miles.

My question is - how many miles is "too many" miles? The way I understand it - if a person takes care of the bike (follows maintenance schedule, doesn't beat/race the bike) they can last quite a while.

I'm curious because I don't want to invest in a bike that may have issues in the near future. The bike has been routinely maintained at a local bike shop and the owner claims they followed the expected maintenance schedule.

Those of you who have owned ZX6R's and have close to or more than 40k miles, how do you feel about your bikes? Do you think they will last longer? Did you see an increase in necessary repairs or a significant degradation in performance over time?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I have almost 40K miles on my 2006 ZX6R and it's still running very strong. I don't foresee any problems except maybe new fork seals. Everything else is mostly maintenance stuff. Right now I'm close to needing new rear brakes and new tires. Front brakes are fairly new when compared to the rear brakes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I used to have an 05 ZX-6R. I bought it with a little over 4,000 miles on it. I sold it 14 months later with about 48,000 miles on it. I was very regular with maintenance on it and never had any mechanical issues. The bike ran amazingly even after I sold it to my friend. The only reason I got rid of it was because Kawasaki came out with the 09 ZX-6R and I had to have it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 05 has 63,500 miles, had from new and still on the original clutch, got through the usual things, tyres, front pad, chains and sprockets, still gong strong, as long as its been looked after should be fine, just keep an eye on the cam chain tensioner as they can get a bit lazy, not a difficult fix. had fork seals changed about a year ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If properly maintained my gsxr 600 had close to 50K on it and still had a full power band.

If you do go for it thoroughly look it over, listen for any obscure noises and from there make your choice. You can always buy Athena engine gaskets and have it all freshened up for like 300$

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not Kawasaki, but my 2007 CBR600RR has 27k miles on it with the last 10k all race/track miles. Still on the original clutch, motor ect. Maintenance is key to longevity....There is a 2003 CBR 600RR the parts girl at the local motorcycle shop says her boyfriend put 102k miles on.

·
Registered
684 Posts
To answer your question, I wouldn't buy a bike with 60k+ miles.

Here in the bay area, there are tons of bikes to be had, most have under 20k on 'em.

As for how long I"d keep a bike for mileage the sky's the limit.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Two month old thread, guys. He's likely made a decision by now. Let 'er die.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speak with the person selling the bike and see how you feel about it. If he has kept the bike in good condition and maintained it 40k miles is fine and it can easily be in very good condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking for one for high miles - These bikes are designed for that mileage - but the market heavily discounts because of it!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Too many miles is when too many things start to go wrong and you can`t stand it no more (cost), so sell it like a salesman and move up the ladder. Don`t bite, just my experience.
:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts