Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 ZX6r will not hold rpm (check out video)

hey everyone, just picked a farily clean 2005 zx6r for $1700. The PO was selling it so cheap because it had a bent valve, a bent valve that actually ended up being a broken cam shaft! but thats not the issue, i replace the whole head anyway.

I put everything back together, i have did not run the bike before tearing it down so i have no idea if it was having the same issue before or not, i doubt that the problem i am having right now is due to the new head.

anyway this is whats going on: i can start the bike and even rev it up, but it will not hold any rpm, idle or 4k, 10k or anything else, i can keep the bike running but constantly reving it but as soon as i hold the throttle in one position at a constant rpm the bike cuts out.

this is everything i checked:

the FI light: the light is on and according to the service manual and the readout based on the number of blinks its the exhaust valve malfunction, i thought maybe it was locked in the closed position, but i tried starting the bike without the muffler at all and same problem.

battery charged (even hooked bike up to car battery to be sure)

air filter clean

all fuses good

spark is there/healthy

fuel pump works (disconnected hose, turned over motor and tons of fuel came out, good stream, not sure how much pressure though)

injectors work/click ( put power source up to injector and it clicked just like it said in the manual, also checked connector for power, injectors are getting power, also pulled them out and watched them spray away.)

This is what i am thinking the problem is:

Bad ECU ( I noticed that there is there is a plug, used for a code reader I am assuming, that for some reason has a ground wire that goes to the tank, anyhow that wire is burned, it appears to me that the po was trying to read a code and somehow plugged something in wrong and shorted that wire and possibly burning something else in the ecu.)

Fuel Pump not putting out enough pressure ( i doubt this is the case however because the stream of gasoline that came out of it was reasonably large)

Non Synced throttle bodys (bike revs healthy though and just does not sound like its really out of synce)
Just wanted to see if anyone else experience the same problem, before i dish out the cash for a new ECU. !

I appreciate any help!
thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nvm, FI light i guess is fault indicator not fuel injection, anyway will try to get a code readout of that using that one ground wire as specified in the manual

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
TBs DEFINITELY need to be synced. regardless of if its efi or carbs. you're syncing airflow. not fuel, so the fuel metering type doesn't matter at that point. could be direct injection and you'd still have to sync.
i'd look at all the sensors, make sure TPS is initialized and try to test the ECU on another bike to make sure it's not fucked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, now im thinking its just the fuel pump relay, although the fuel pump pumps out gas when cranking the bike over, it seems to loose power once the bike starts, my thinking is that when the bike is starting the fuel pump has a direct power source but once it starts the relay has to kick in and power it. may not be the case, but the bike seems to only start after turning the key, that is when the fuel pump kicks in monentarily, it pumps the lines full of gas and once it eats that up there isnt anything to pump more gas into the line. just my hypothesis.

SO does anyone know when exactly the relay is supposed to kick in? or if there is any way of replacing it without replacing the entire relay box. better yet is there a way to test it?

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, its definately not the relays, i checked them all, pump turns on and primes then turns off. BUT does it have to turn back on at some point or do the injectors suck in more gas on their on???? one interesting thing though, is that the bike starts better once i turn the ignition off and then back on,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also the bike seems to run better and longer the more charged the battery is, as if its not getting enough spark, but like ive said before, cranking the bike over there is spark, also bike still dies even if its hooked up to a car battery:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whoa whoa, common fellas not all at once! haha, well i check the power and ground on ecu, checked the throttle sensor for power, and resistance basicly checked everything but the ecu.

Question is though, would a bad ecu still give the bike spark? and would a bad ecu not light up a code on the FI light? only code i get is for a bad exhaust butterfly valve sensor...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, i think i narrowed it down, its either the TPS or the ECU, measuring the wires to the TPS it will at times give me the proper 1.2-4.5 V depending on throttle, and other times it will only read 1.2 and not change if i give it more throttle, but at the same time the FI light is not giving me a "bad TPS" code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NEW THEORY, turns out the TPS sensor is a OK, just could not get a good connections when measuring voltage, it seems that the bike starts up better when sitting for a while, ie when its cool, once it starts up for a few seconds and warms up it will cut out, and then has a very hard time starting up right after, sooo im thinking maybe the heat is making the coils have more resistance and just loose spark. But what are the chances of all the coils going bad!!!??

·
Registered
117 Posts
NEW THEORY, turns out the TPS sensor is a OK, just could not get a good connections when measuring voltage, it seems that the bike starts up better when sitting for a while, ie when its cool, once it starts up for a few seconds and warms up it will cut out, and then has a very hard time starting up right after, sooo im thinking maybe the heat is making the coils have more resistance and just loose spark. But what are the chances of all the coils going bad!!!??
Take a picture of the burned ground wire. DId you solder a replacement? It is likely cause from shorting the fuel pump onto the positive battery terminal. I did this on my bike, soldered a new ground and it ran like a champ. Unfortunately, it dies after 30-40 min. I have replaced the fuel pump, swapped relays and it still dies when hot.

search for my zx6r dies after 20 min thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts