Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at buying a ZZR600 from my local dealer in the winter, but I have also been told that the honda is a good competitor for it. Myself, I like the sport styling, but I hate being crunched over all day on a super sport, so a sport tourer is more my cup of tea. Of all the bikes out there, I have come down to choosing between these two. Currently looking at buying a 2007, but I can get a 2006 no problem. I was wondering if I could get peoples thoughts and opinions (Both pro and con) for the bikes stated. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have an 05 zzr and i love it, i would deffintly recomend it. i have never ridden the cbr so i cant say ne thing about it. the zzr is still a sport bike though dount get confused by the touring lable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the touring label just makes my insurance go down... suckers. I know both bikes are still considered sport, but they don't have the huge lean angle the other bikes, like the CBR600RR and the 636 Ninja do. I do lots of long rides, so a little more comfort is nice. Basic questions are which is smoother, better suspension/brakes, chain maintanence and whether one is easier or not... basic stuff like that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if u sit on that cbr 600 anything like an 04 cbr 1000, i hate it, very uncomfortable for me. im bout 5/7 200lbs. ive got 98 zx6r and is very comfortable and potent and so easy to trick out. the zzr is a tested and true design, thats why they still have it.[:M117]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by Shiningsoul
Yeah, the touring label just makes my insurance go down... suckers. I know both bikes are still considered sport, but they don't have the huge lean angle the other bikes, like the CBR600RR and the 636 Ninja do. I do lots of long rides, so a little more comfort is nice. Basic questions are which is smoother, better suspension/brakes, chain maintanence and whether one is easier or not... basic stuff like that.
Buy which ever bike best suits your riding tastes and your wallet. The ZZR600 is a great bike. To me the clip-ons are in a higher more relaxed configuration, which makes for more comfortable riding. When riding the 636 and CBR600RR you will find that your more humped over the tank. Which IMO after a long day of riding your going to feel it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant the lean angle from the seat to the tank, or the horrible angle your back forms when sitting on the bike. I know on an R1, my back is almost horizontal. If this helps, I am only 5'8 180lbs, so I hope that can help someone with the questions I asked.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I meant the lean angle from the seat to the tank, or the horrible angle your back forms when sitting on the bike. I know on an R1, my back is almost horizontal. If this helps, I am only 5'8 180lbs, so I hope that can help someone with the questions I asked.
I answered your question. Buy the Ninja 636 or the CBR600RR and your going to be humped over the tank. Which IMO is not very comfortable at all. I can ride my ZZR600 500 miles and feel great when I get finished for the day. As for the other two choices I would probably stop more often to rest because of all that stress on my lower back. Oh I'm 5'-10" 160 lbs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you read the end of this post, I asked a bunch more questions. And this is related to the CBR600F4i and the ZZR600, not the ninja and rr.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
IMO the ZZR600 is a very smooth stable bike. Brakes are very smooth and responsive once you replace the stock brake lines with stainless steel braided lines. The stock lines are crap. The suspension is fully adjustable, which means it can be adjusted to suit different weights, riding styles and conditions. Chain maintenance is like any other bike with a chain. Keep the chain adjusted to the right tension and keep it lubed. I can't speak for the 636 or CBR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ZZR info. Would you happen to know if the ZZR can be used in conjunction with a rear stand for easier chain maintenance? Also, does anyone have any F4i info that could answer the comparison questions?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Thanks for the ZZR info. Would you happen to know if the ZZR can be used in conjunction with a rear stand for easier chain maintenance? Also, does anyone have any F4i info that could answer the comparison questions?
Yes I would happen to know:D I have LPUSA swingarm spools installed. Got any other questions about the ZZR?

Search my posts.

Here's the latest list of items I have installed on my 2006 ZZR600.

1) Yoshimura RS-3 Stainless Steel Oval Bolt-On
2) Pyramid Carbon Fiber Hugger Fender
3) Grip Puppies from California Sport Touring
4) HVMP 13.9 oz Polished Stainless Steel Bar Ends
5) ThrottleRocker (Greatest piece of plastic ever invented)
6) Carbon Fiber Brake and Clutch Levers
7) MagKnight Magnetic Carbon Fiber Tank Protector
8) Polished Billet Frame Sliders
9) Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame
10)Chrome Brake Reservoir Caps front and rear
11)Zero Gravity Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen
12) Gorilla Cycle Alarm
13) Battery Tender plug-in
14) LED Brake Lights
15) Lockhart Phillips 10 MM Swing Arm Spools
16) SW-MOTECH Mirror Extenders
17) Xenon Quartz Cyber White headlight bulbs XQ-H4WPK
18) Center light bulb Xenon Lightning Whiter 12V5W XL-194WK
19) Special Production MRA Vario Touring Windscreen
20) MOTOTECK paint matched undertail with intergrated LED amber turn signals with clear lenses.
21) MOTOTECK Flush line front turn signals with amber LED's and clear lenses.
22) LUIMOTO Carbon Fiber seat covers for the front and back seats.
23) Goodridge Stainless Steel Front and Rear Brake Lines.
24) Cox Racing Radiator Grill.
25) Carbon Works Carbon Fiber Front Fender Side Covers.
26) Pyramid Paint Matched Rear Seat Cowl.
27) Pyramid Fenda Extenda for Front Fender.
28) LED turn signals and brake lights in my passenger foot pegs.
29) Tech Mount Kawasaki M-Stand # 20992 for radar detector.
30) 12 Volt power cord with cigarette style plug-in
31) Traffic Light Trigger
32) K&N Air Filter
33) Shimmed Carb Needles
34) TriboSeat Cover on passenger seat
35) Michelin Pilot Power Tires
36) 2007 "ZZR600" factory decals installed on the upper front cowling like the 07 model. Part # 56052-0932

Reactions: CalAussieKTM

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a million. With those swingarm spools, how are they actually installed? And holy... your bike so makes me want to run out and buy one like this second... with the $2000 difference between the F4i and the ZZR, I could so upgrade. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Thanks a million. With those swingarm spools, how are they actually installed? And holy... your bike so makes me want to run out and buy one like this second... with the $2000 difference between the F4i and the ZZR, I could so upgrade. :D
When you buy the ZZR600 it already has the threaded mounts welded to the bottom of the swingarm. Then you buy swingarm spools of your choice that have 10mm threads. Use a little lock-tite on the threads and torque them to about 14 ft/lbs. I have about $2800.00 in modifications/parts on my bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my ZZR last December and I'm still loving it. It's a smooth runner and has everything I need for my usual commuting. The stock rear shock was inadequate and I spent $750 on an Elka. Now, it handles like a dream. The pegs will drag on you if you get over too far, but that's only happened a few times. With a few mods, this will be the only bike you'll ever need for street, track, touring, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is exactly the bike I am looking for. I sometimes ride 300miles + a day, while other days I work just a 3 minute ride away. I have only taken my ZZR 250 on the track once, but with school, not much time for that. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
And the F4i has a centre stand, which makes cleaning/lubing/adjusting the chain very, very easy.

I'd still get a ZZR though, 'cause Hondas are soulless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys! And actually, the F4i doesn't come with a centerstand here in Canada, so ZZR sounds like the better of the two.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you also want some reviews Sport Rider's recent issue did a review of the ZZR and some other competition the cbrf4i included.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.