Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the topic says, the bike pulls hard up to 12,500 and then stutters and stumbles it's way to 13,500 and then pulls hard again until redline. It will do this in at least the first 3 gears. In first the stumble is so bad it throws you forward on the bike.

Any thoughts before it goes in to the dealer to be checked? It's got about 2500 Km's on it and runs great otherwise.

Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
532 Posts
ummm i'd say sparkplugs but thats a guess. check your air hoses too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, here's a small update.

Changed the plugs. The old ones looked great (which I would expect with only 2500 KM's on thge bike). While I was in there, I checked all the hoses and made sure the slides on the carbs moved freely which they were. Made no difference

Looks like a trip to the stealership for me.[:M70]

Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
384 Posts
Poochie - prob wise NOT to mention that you've done any work on the bike. Stuff like that can invalidate your warranty regardless of whether you were fixing a problem.

Cheers,

Chris.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
no idea poochie, mine has a little flat spot around 5-6k, other than that she pulls like a motha-fucka

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's been at the stealership for a week now.

Their first answer: "You're bouncing off the rev limiter." [:M61]

After letting them know that the redline on the bike is 14,500 and that the problem is between 12,500 and 13,500 (as stated on the work order) they have now determined that they don't know what the problem is.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Poochie. I got a 2006 zzr600 as well and mine pulls good to 12500 then stumbles basically to redline. The service department where i bought the bike is horrible so im holding off bringing it in. Mine also seems to knock a bit up till 4000 rpm. I'm thinking maybe its advanced too much or stuck on full advance, something of that nature... Pls post when you find out what gives with yours. Thx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now they are waiting for a call from Kawi Canada since they are not sure where the problem lies.

They also mentioned that the computer doesn't have any error codes in it for the fuel injection. I didn't have the heart to tell them that it's carbureted.

The saga continues...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update:

Just spoke to the dealership, they told me to come and get the bike. They admit that there is a problem, but they have no idea what it is. They are waiting to get another customer's bike in so that they can see if it does the same thing since they are not willing to run the new one on the showroom floor up to redline.

Not happy...:(

PS. It is definitely carb'd

·
Registered
32 Posts
zzr is basically an 02 zx6r carryover. still rips n gits it done. kawi couldnt have a zx6r 636 and a zx6r 600, so they call it zzr 600. i believe the 02 zx6r was carbed

·
Registered
48 Posts
See now that's exactly why I havn't brought mine back to the dealer... I've been trying to fix a problem around 2-4k revs,thought it was a carb problem but after EXTENSIVE trial and error and even specific diag. the one thing I can't test is the cdi unit and I think that's where the prob. lies-that holds the ign. adv. curve and commands:( I know this game the dealers play,they'll tell you they just can't fix it or they say it's not covered under warranty...I'm goin to take mine soon though,can't stand the way it runs, but now I'm sure what's going on with it I'll insist they repl. the cdi box!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I think that the problem is with the CDI brain as well. Of course (as my father would say) "You can't tell a pickle nothin'" so the stealership won't listen to my opinion.

They could pull the box off of the new ZZR that is sitting on the showroom floor and try it out on my bike. If it fixes the problem, I don't mind waiting for a new one to be ordered so that they don't have to take down one of their bikes.

Sucks to be me. I'm tempted just to get rid of the thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have experienced that a couple of times on my bike but the problem is intermittent and hasnt happened in a while. It could very possibly be the cdi unit as it doesnt seem to be carb related especially since on my bike it is intermittent. Carb problems GENERALLY are more likely to be more consistent than intermittent. If it becomes a problem with me I will just cough up the ridiculous amount to buy a new unit and be done with it cuz Im not gonna scrap the bike for a problem that small. It seems that it is almost impossible to find a powersports dealership that you can deal with. I have never been to a dealership where I liked the service department so unless it is something just impossible for me to fix I wont even take my bike there for something that would be under warranty. Keep us posted on your situation and I will do the same if mine gets to act up more often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've run in to something like that with my 05. Mine completely died at 12500 and I could duplicate it all day. So could the service manager. We changed the CDI, plugs and checked all of the electrical connections and hoses. Nothing corrected the trouble. Kawasaki US wasn't aware of anything that would cause it either. I finally found and fixed the problem myself. I had installed a Scorpio alarm with the anti-hijack/kill relay. I removed the relay from the kill switch circuit and the problem went away. I returned the relay, got a new one from Scorpio, reinstalled and it did the same thing. I moved the relay to the solonoid wire for the starter and still have the kill feature but not the anti-hijack. I can run up to redline now. From what I can tell, either the contacts are bouncing due to vibration through the bike at 12500 or the electrical system sends spikes of voltage out at that RPM/frequency.

This may not be your problem but a loose, corroded, intermittant electrical connection vibrating would/could cause your problem. It's really weird that 12500 is the magic number though....

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it took almost a month but it seems to be fixed. They lowered the carb needles and the problem is gone. Waaayy more power everywhere, the part throttle response got cleaned up too. Guess the bike is jetted rich enough from the factory to cause grief at my altitude (3500 ft).

It's a long weekend and I'm goin' riding! [8D]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Poochie, I brought my bike in to get it checked for the same problem, and they(me too) would like to have more info on what the did exactly to your bike, and if there is a mechanic they can talk to about it.... Thx for any info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.