Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the step-by-step guide to installing a HID kit for the 2007-2008 ZX-6R. I decided to do one since I was unable to find one bike specific. First of all, I'm a novice when it comes to installs. I would say that I'm a 3.5 out of 10 when it comes to skill level. However this install turn out to be very easy. It took me about 45 mins to complete and it should take you much less time with this guide. The kit I used for this install is from DDM/Apexcone that many of us has from this forum has purchased.

Here's my personal opinion of DDM.....

DDM Tuning Review:
- Quality: 8
- Value: 9
- Communication: 4
- Shipping Speed: 6
- Customer Service: 3

Before I get started, many of you had questions on how to tell the difference between the 35W and 55W ballast:

The 35W ballast is clearly labeled:

The 55W ballast is not labeled:

Okay, now back to the install...

1. Remove the one bolt with the allen wrench from the bike's tool kit.

2. Removing the side panel. Note the four projections/fasteners points. Just pull up on those four points and the panel comes right off.

3. To remove the stock bulb, just turn the assembly counter-clockwise and pull out the bulb.

4. Now to separate the stock bulb from the power harness. Just press on the tab to release the bulb.

5. Assemble your ballast and HID bulb harnesses. Be sure to match up your stock bulb to the HID bulbs to determine which is high and low beam. DDM/Apexcone didn't take the time to label them :mad:. However, if you look closely you will be able to tell the difference.

6. At this point you may want to put on a pair of latex gloves to prevent the HID bulb from contacting your skin while handling. The oils from your skin may cause a hot spot and burnout your bulbs. Now you need to connect the harness from the HID assembly to the bike's power harness and install the HID bulb. ***Check out step 6A and 6B for further clarification before you complete this step.

6A. Now this is the confusion many of us have had. When connecting the harness be sure the positive is going to positive and negative to negative. The harness will fit only one way so you may need to swap the wires from the HID harness or just swap the ballast assembly. You DO NOT need to cut the wires. See step 6B on how to release the wires from the harness.

6B. If you look carefully there are tabs you can push to the side to release the wires to swap. I used a tiny jewelers flathead screwdriver to do so.

7. Here's what it should look like once you have completed step 6. Be sure to power up the headlights now to make sure it's working before going on to the next step.

8. Now to button everything up. I rolled up the excess wires and zip-tied them to clean things up. Now there isn't too many places to mount the ballast on the hand brake side (there's more space and options on the clutch side). So I attached them to the bottom of the side panel. The kit comes with double sided tape, but I suggest 3M velcro tape. The belly of the side panel is not flat so the double sided tape is ineffective. In addition, I noticed the ballast heats up very fast so that makes the double sided tape even more ineffective. The ballast came off after one ride with the double sided tape, but stayed on strong with the velcro tape.

9. Once you've completed and tested the other side too, it's time to adjust the level of your lights. You may not have to do this step, but on my bike it came from the factory aimed way high. It wasn't that big of a deal with the stock bulbs but with the HID's it's blinding. On the inside of each bulb assembly you can adjust the level with a philips screwdriver (don't bother to adjust the knob with your fingers. It can be done but a big PIA!) Counter-Clockwise=Lowering Aim, Clockwise=Raising Aim. The adjustment can be done after the side panel is installed, but easier with it off.

10. Okay, now to close everything up by re-installing the side panel and you're done!

Here's are some pics after the install:

Low Beam only:

High and low beam:

55W, 6K:

55W, 6K:

If this guide has helped you in anyway or if you appreciated the effort, please don't forget to REP me! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice write up there i got my kit a few months ago and still havent got round to doing this i think i shall get out there at the weekend and have a shot at it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i agree nice write up man!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice write-up. Only 1 thing to add though....to remove the plastic panel you only need to remove the allen bolt on top, removing the side bolt is not necessary. Very clear write-up with good pics as well...rep to you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fantastic write-up. Well done. How much was that HID kit?
$110 for 55W from the Contradiction group buy. If you want 35W it's $85.

I do want to warn everyone that if you rather pay more for good/reliable service that DDM/Apexcone may not be the company for you. I had a nightmare situation where they shipped out the wrong ballast. They had me pay again for a second kit before they would ship me out the correct ballasts. Then to make matters worse they took almost another 2 weeks before shipping me the correct ones. Guess I wasn't "priority" since I'm no longer a "new" customer. It took a total of 33 days before I got the correct product after payment :mad:.

Now I know that mistakes do happen, but what actions the company takes after the mistake speaks volumes on their commitment to the customer. Apparently I'm not the only one that received incorrect ballasts. Quite a few on the first GB had the same problem. Not the best of customer service, but it's a great product for a great price.:dunno:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forget the hid's i want your car and garage, and do i diy that?
Thanks for the compliment. Actually I've been neglecting my car. haven't washed her for over 3 months. She really needs a wash bad! Been giving all my attention to my new bike.:D

Yeah, the garage floor is painted with custom commercial grade 2 part epoxy paint. It's $100 a gallon but well worth it! It took 1 gallon of primer and 3 gallons of paint. The color looks much better in person and under natural light. The picture makes it look lighter than it really is. The blue is the same blue as the BMW emblem. I love bimmers :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Actually I've been neglecting my car. haven't washed her for over 3 months. She really needs a wash bad! Been giving all my attention to my new bike.:D

Yeah, the garage floor is painted with custom commercial grade 2 part epoxy paint. It's $100 a gallon but well worth it! It took 1 gallon of primer and 3 gallons of paint. The color looks much better in person and under natural light. The picture makes it look lighter than it really is. The blue is the same blue as the BMW emblem. I love bimmers :D

I'm so jealous!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how do u change the nose light?
Right underneath the nose light there's a panel. You'll see a single bolt in the center. Remove it with an allen wrench. Then remove the rivets by pushing the center in. The picture below will show one side of it. You'll notice that I have removed one already. Then reach up there and twist the bulb harness off. Takes about 10 mins.

·
Registered
147 Posts
thanks i am going to install mine tomorrow. i just took the hid kit out and it seems that the two bulbs are different. they look the same, but one says h9 and the other says h11. do you know which one is the low beam and which is the high beam? thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
nice write up man! rep to you

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ya, a really great job MB Hawaii! Thanks!

I followed your guide and installed dual hids yesterday. Worked out great and had lotsa confidence 'cause of your instructions!

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts