Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to decide if springing for a bit extra cash for a 2009 650r would make that much of a difference compared to a 2007 or 2008 other than just the digital tach. Does the 2009 ride much differently than the earlier models? Any opinions are great! Thanks.

· Registered
5,288 Posts
To make the bike more attractive to the US market, where the ability to flat foot the bike with both feet appears to be important, the 09 had a frame that was slimmed down behind the tank, and which was, in Kawasaki's words 'more flexible'. This allowed a slightly narrower seat.

To compensate for the degraded frame a stiffer swinging arm was fitted, and the engine was given rubber bushing in the mounts to reduce the small amount of vibration that some riders compained off. Rubber footpegs were also fitted.

Which model you prefer is personal. I like the stiffer frame and analogue instruments of the earlier bike and don't like the fairing styling or digital dash of the later one.

I like the rubber footpegs for function, but not so much for looks. I'm indifferent to the engine mounts.

I'd probably go for the earlier bike with the later pegs and swinging arm if that was an option. Don't know if that swinging arm will fit the earlier frame.

There were differences to the fuelling, but this applies more to US bikes with the open loop EFI. EU bikes have a closed loop system.

If you got a well maintained 06 or 07 bike you wouldn't be disappointed in it.

Rob

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To make the bike more attractive to the US market, where the ability to flat foot the bike with both feet appears to be important, the 09 had a frame that was slimmed down behind the tank, and which was, in Kawasaki's words 'more flexible'. This allowed a slightly narrower seat.

To compensate for the degraded frame a stiffer swinging arm was fitted, and the engine was given rubber bushing in the mounts to reduce the small amount of vibration that some riders compained off. Rubber footpegs were also fitted.

Which model you prefer is personal. I like the stiffer frame and analogue instruments of the earlier bike and don't like the fairing styling or digital dash of the later one.

I like the rubber footpegs for function, but not so much for looks. I'm indifferent to the engine mounts.

I'd probably go for the earlier bike with the later pegs and swinging arm if that was an option. Don't know if that swinging arm will fit the earlier frame.

There were differences to the fuelling, but this applies more to US bikes with the open loop EFI. EU bikes have a closed loop system.

If you got a well maintained 06 or 07 bike you wouldn't be disappointed in it.

Rob
I too dislike the digital tach, but I have only rode a 2009 and it felt great under me but I haven't had a chance to compare it to any earlier models but I trust that I won't be disapointed with an 06 or 07. One more question most of the 09's seems to have a slightly more "sporty" handle bar position, is this true or am I just crazy? :D

· Registered
341 Posts
I've ridden my 07 650r and an 09 er6n. The er6n definitely felt lower/narrower. It did feel like a little less "buzz" from the vibrations, but it had no sheild/fairings to vibrate either.

I do kinda wish I'd gone with the '09 650r that i originally found, simply because I find the '07 looks kinda out-dated, and less "buzz" would be nice. Although, I bought got my 07 for much less $$$, with a warranty, and the same mileage.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've ridden my 07 650r and an 09 er6n. The er6n definitely felt lower/narrower. It did feel like a little less "buzz" from the vibrations, but it had no sheild/fairings to vibrate either.

I do kinda wish I'd gone with the '09 650r that i originally found, simply because I find the '07 looks kinda out-dated, and less "buzz" would be nice. Although, I bought got my 07 for much less $$$, with a warranty, and the same mileage.
So all in all are you happy with your decision? Or do you regret it?

· Registered
341 Posts
Oh, I definitely love my bike, don't regret it at all. Although mine felt a little harder to flat foot (well, I can't), I've gotten accustomed to it, and feel very sure-footed now.

It just looks a LITTLE dated now, and I assume before I'm done with it, it'll look much more so. Then again... I may just keep it around as a commuter even if I do get another bike, or turn it to a streetfighter to keep my interest up.

· Registered
341 Posts
30in inseem (actually meaured AND pants size... but I wear my pants a little baggy)
I can stand over a 31in bicycle, but it's VERY up close and personal. snug.
5ft 7in.

There's a bunch of people who've recovered/shaved/added gel inserts themselves to stock seats incase you think that may help get it to your height.

EDIT: BTW, I ONLY ride with boots. Just generic work boots for now, but with tennis shoes, I can push it, but not really confident.

· Registered
98 Posts
I have an 08. Never been on any other 650R. It's a very comfortable bike to ride, but sucks with a passenger. Boring riding position, but you can add sportbars, will seem sportier for a minute, but will be back to boring soon. Good bike if you are not looking for something too sporty. If you are, and if you buy it, never get on a bike with an inline 4, you will forever feel like you're on a moped. Good starter bike, allthough some will argue it's too big and powerfull to start on (they are nuts, or under 5 ft. tall!). Speaking from experience only, be sure you want this bike, because if you are really looking for a sport bike, or a bike that really stands out, this is not it. I love my bike, first bike/car I've ever bought new, but in all honestly I regret buying this new.

· Registered
185 Posts
Get what you feel right riding, and what you can afford. What KenLienczewski said about an inline 4 is important if you are into track days or live where the roads are all high speed twisties.

The 650R has great midrange and acceptable top end for most riding situations. Most 600cc ss's give you very little below 8k rpm and just try to put a lady on the pillion of a crotch rocket, and see how that goes after 20 minutes. Again, get what fits and is affordable and ride, ride, ride, and enjoy. dd50

· Registered
5,288 Posts
If you are, and if you buy it, never get on a bike with an inline 4, you will forever feel like you're on a moped. Good starter bike, allthough some will argue it's too big and powerfull to start on (they are nuts, or under 5 ft. tall!). .
On the starter bike issue, we're not nuts- just very experienced riders and instructors who know what we're taliking about. Unlike some people.

I 've had my share of I4s and find them bland and rather boring - unless they're the ones with a shed load of power that is very expensive and is too much to use on the road. They sound like sewing machines. As the I4 ss bikes are a useful bit lighter than the 650, why would it feel like a moped? Illogical.

Twins, V twins and triples are much more characterful bikes to ride and the Triumph 675 triples are the leaders in their respective classes.

The Kawaski 650 twin is faster up to about 80 or 90 mph than most of the I4s of similar size including most SS bikes - it's got a better spread of torque - and it's that performance that really counts on the street.

On the seat height issue, there's no need to able to flat foot a bike. Just learn to ride it properly where starting and stopping is concerned. Anyone with an inseam of more than about 27" should be fine on the 06 - 08 ER6, and you can be a touch shorter for the 09 and later bikes.

Rob

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I am not looking for a super sport but still want something sporty hence my choice in the 650r. But I was more curious on the OP about maintenence on the bike, such as are there more problems with the older models?

· Registered
98 Posts
On the starter bike issue, we're not nuts- just very experienced riders and instructors who know what we're taliking about. Unlike some people.

I 've had my share of I4s and find them bland and rather boring - unless they're the ones with a shed load of power that is very expensive and is too much to use on the road. They sound like sewing machines. As the I4 ss bikes are a useful bit lighter than the 650, why would it feel like a moped? Illogical.

Twins, V twins and triples are much more characterful bikes to ride and the Triumph 675 triples are the leaders in their respective classes.

The Kawaski 650 twin is faster up to about 80 or 90 mph than most of the I4s of similar size including most SS bikes - it's got a better spread of torque - and it's that performance that really counts on the street.

On the seat height issue, there's no need to able to flat foot a bike. Just learn to ride it properly where starting and stopping is concerned. Anyone with an inseam of more than about 27" should be fine on the 06 - 08 ER6, and you can be a touch shorter for the 09 and later bikes.

Rob
Rob, you are surely entitled to your opinions. The 650R is a starter bike!! Anything that cheap is surely not the performance monster we wish it was. And yeah I know, you are the most experienced rider life has offered all of us. You always make it a point to tell us how right you are. I've heard all about the 100 or so tests it takes to get a motorcycle endorsement in Euorope. Makes you guys WAY better on a bike. Just like standing in rows with rifles over your shoulders out in the open made you guys WAY better at warfare!:D
Ok, just giving you a hard time!;)

But faster up to 80 or 90mph as similar sized inline4's. Really? Are you sure? Ever rode one? So my 650R will blow out a same year GSXR, CBR 600 up to 90? No F'n way bro!!! Not even with YOU on it. And I don't care what numbers anybody can throw in front of me. Rode all of them, and no F'n way.

Never had the chance to ride a Triumph, but I would love to.

And my twin does a great job of chuggin, fartin, and sounding like an ATV, or characterizing itself.

There is no reason at all to have to flat foot the road.

· Registered
5,288 Posts
Yeah I am not looking for a super sport but still want something sporty hence my choice in the 650r. But I was more curious on the OP about maintenence on the bike, such as are there more problems with the older models?
Main issues are a tendency for the stock header to snap just before the can, and on pre 07 models a little cracking - easily fixed - around the upper engine mounts. All models are prone to coil failures - they jam and the windings suffer trying to remove them, so it's maybe a good idea to ease them out at regular intervals.

Regulator/rectifiers seem to come up as an issue on all bike forums but aren't a major issue. Removing the front sprocket for replacement seems to give more problems than on most bikes, but it's just a matter of the right tools and enough brute force.

Fairing buzz is an issue. Annoying but not a stopper. Adhesive foam tape - weatherstripping does the job - along the fairing section contact points ans under the screen cures it. I think that applies to all models but is probably worse pre 09.

Being cheap doesn't make a bike a starter bike. Silly idea that. And the ER-6 will stay ahead of similar sized I4s from the lights and stay ahead into the 90s. by the high 90s the I4 will have caught and passed you. And yes - I've rode more than a few. I've also outpaced more than a few on the ER-6. If, as an individual, you can't get that performance from it, maybe it's because you didn't start on a 250 and learn to ride properly.

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.