Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
pffft. buells suck. they fall to bits all the time, are slow, and made by harley davidson. what other reasons do you need to hate them?

wow. ingenious braking idea. wonder why racing teams haven't coined in on it yet though? [B)]

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
They've had those brakes since they redesigned them a couple years ago. I think "Braking" makes a kit for all sorts of different bikes. They are "perimeter brakes". I know they made a kit for Ducati Monsters. It included a new rim with the disc, and calipers that mounted upside down.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Originally posted by jealous57
They've had those brakes since they redesigned them a couple years ago. I think "Braking" makes a kit for all sorts of different bikes. They are "perimeter brakes". I know they made a kit for Ducati Monsters. It included a new rim with the disc, and calipers that mounted upside down.
Were they made with imperial measurement, chromed, and equipped with tassles? [:p]

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
The 07 buell in that picture looks exactly like they have for several years. If you like your bikes of the rattley overweight variety, and you love nothing more than back tracking for miles to find parts that fell off, and you have nothing better to do with your time than to open the throttle all the way and wait for it to hit the stratospheric 5,000 rpm rev limiter, it's probably the best bike out there for you.

·
Registered
857 Posts
buell was just raving in the thuinder series and superbike i think it was or some 600 sport class...none of which placed any good but meh i do think it looks kinda cool...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It is a pretty sweet looking bike. I almost got a Firebolt back before I got my Harley. Like a Harley, they fall apart and suck after a few months from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
those brakes came out with the firebolt when it was first released... there are alot of things that i think manufactures can get out of buells design... take the frame for example, it dubles as the oil res... or the swingarm also houses some of the fluids, i feel their designs are amazing and eric really has it together... if you read up on his story and where he came from i give the guy mad resprect even if its a harley... but you have to remember the only thing that is a harley is the motor the rest is buell...

i really thought about getting a firebolt when i got rid of my blast (what i learned on), but the local harley dealership back where i used to live screwed me and i wasnt able to take adavantage of the program they offered...

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by CHRISZX6RR
Doesnt really make alot of horses for a 1200 but sure does make some good torque. I think its 84ft lbs.
Damn...you should look into the new Ducati literbike line up. You get the same torque as a buell (I believe it's right around that figure for the new models), but an 11,000 rpm redline and the smooth delivery of the 90 degree v-twin instead of the HD...which LOOKS like it's something around 45 degrees or something, and has that weird off-canter timing. I dunno...buell does do innovative things with their design, but just remember that innovative isn't always better. If these perimiter brakes were worth the weight, and frame-mounted hoses and fluid reservoirs were really the pimp shit, wouldn't the multi-million-dollar MotoGP teams be using them?

·
Registered
671 Posts
IMHO the Buells have kinda a cool look and some neat designs ideas like frame is the fuel tank, swingarm is oil resvoir, perimiter brakes but until they drop the POS slug harley engine and get a real motor worthy of the chais it'll be a POS.

They built the Buell XBRR to run in fomula extreme... 1360cc purpose built race bike and it's getting destroyed by 600's. http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/01/23/buell-xbrr/

·
Registered
759 Posts
You people don't have a freaking clue. The XB series Buells are very reliable, handle great and are plenty fast. I've ridden (not owned) the XB12R Firebolt and it's a really fun bike. It's all about monster torque on the street. Ergos are tight for a tall guy like me, but the new "Ss/Long" model fits well. The motors don't spin up as fast as an I4 sportbike, so it has a totally different character to it.

Don't be an ignorant hater. Take one out for a decent demo ride sometime (with an open mind) and see if you're not grinning in your helmet when you get back. Maybe it floats your boat, maybe not, but they're solid, reliable bikes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You people don't have a freaking clue. The XB series Buells are very reliable, handle great and are plenty fast. I've ridden (not owned) the XB12R Firebolt and it's a really fun bike. It's all about monster torque on the street. Ergos are tight for a tall guy like me, but the new "Ss/Long" model fits well. The motors don't spin up as fast as an I4 sportbike, so it has a totally different character to it.

Don't be an ignorant hater. Take one out for a decent demo ride sometime (with an open mind) and see if you're not grinning in your helmet when you get back. Maybe it floats your boat, maybe not, but they're solid, reliable bikes.

[:+1]

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
take the frame for example, it dubles as the oil res... or the swingarm also houses some of the fluids, i feel their designs are amazing and eric really has it together... if you read up on his story and where he came from i give the guy mad resprect even if its a harley
I think the frame is actually the gas tank and the swingarm is the oil res. I agree with the rest of what you said though. I think its cool that they are trying to be innovative and I bet other manufacturers will start using some of their ideas eventually, just look at how the belly exhaust thing is going.

The whole formula extreme thing was actually a bit of a controversy. From what I understand, they changed the rules just to allow that bike in the race in order to get more american fans to come to the race. It still got spanked by bikes with half the displacement though. If your going to cheat, at least win.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
As long as HD has a 50% stake in Buell (which is far different from being built by HD btw) don't expect to see any motor changes. That huge piece is the only thing holding them back at this point.

·
Registered
287 Posts
fugly in my opinion, but hey to each their own. I just can't get past their relation to Harley's cause I friggin hate HD.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.