Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it higher than honda and yamaha for 2007?..can anyone tell me what the numbers are for? i think it was like 13:7 and some other numbers, while yamaha is 12:6 i think..

·
Registered
68 Posts
an increased compression ratio should yield more power. it also risks spontaneous ignition and knocking. This is usually avoided by the higher octane ratings of gasoline. If Kawasaki is using a higher than usual compression they must feel like they can get that power without causing the knock. That's my understanding at least. I'm not sure if there are other techniques of increasing compression and avoiding knocking.

You can add toluene to your gas to increase octane rating. Found in the paint solvent section of your local hardware store. It is corrosive at high levels to any rubber fuel lines though and maybe gaskets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For every point of compression it equals 3% increase in power. ( with all things being equal) To run that high of compression, Kawi would have to pull timing out of the motor so it will run on pump gas, this will lose HP ( what ever was gained by running a high compression) The reason they ran a high compression is that in AMA SuperStock you can run race gas there for raising the timing back and increasing power. This is why alot of 6RR's pick up more with a Kit ECU. I think, the new ZX-6R will make great midrang power but taper off in the upper RPM rang do to still runing small 38mm TB why'll the rest of the 600's are running 40mm to 41 mm TB

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 99gixxer600
For every point of compression it equals 3% increase in power. ( with all things being equal) To run that high of compression, Kawi would have to pull timing out of the motor so it will run on pump gas, this will lose HP ( what ever was gained by running a high compression) The reason they ran a high compression is that in AMA SuperStock you can run race gas there for raising the timing back and increasing power. This is why alot of 6RR's pick up more with a Kit ECU. I think, the new ZX-6R will make great midrang power but taper off in the upper RPM rang do to still runing small 38mm TB why'll the rest of the 600's are running 40mm to 41 mm TB
i guess the 07 is meant to be A TRACK BEAST?! so, as for it being ridden on the daily street, it WILL FLAT OUT SUCK..i guess itll be ok, itll just be my weekend canyon toy..thanks guys..IF THERE ARE ANY MORE INPUT ON THIS, please FEEL FREE TO ADD ON..

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah, it will suck....

or

kawasaki is so confident in its perfomance they decided to pull its more popular (636) bike and replace it with this one.

i'll be shocked if this bike doesn't place in the top four of supersport shootouts...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It just sucks, cause I really want it for the street.. I guess I will just have to save my money for my gear, more tires, and track days!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
are you guys high?

"it will suck for streets"

Ok the first person to ride anywhere within 50% of this bikes potential on the street, come find me and I'll buy you a case of beer. Flat out, this bike will outride you. The chances of you ever needing any lost HP are zero on the street or canyons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unless Im wrong...the specs on the 07 6R are the same as my 06 RR, are they the same motor.....13.9 Comp Ratio???? Seems like Kawi are tired of making 2 bikes so they made the 6RR engine the production motor now used

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
They rebuilt the motor from the ground up for the 07. All new. And shiny. Oh so very shiny. *drooool*

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Rivetgeek
are you guys high?

"it will suck for streets"

Ok the first person to ride anywhere within 50% of this bikes potential on the street, come find me and I'll buy you a case of beer. Flat out, this bike will outride you. The chances of you ever needing any lost HP are zero on the street or canyons.
its not the HP im concerned about, its the response from the motor..not saying i will be gunning the heck out of it..like the new r6, for example. i had to ride that thing 8-10,ooo to get anything out of it...it seemed as only around 8-9 or close to 10k is where the motor started kicking it...i was just curious about the compression ratio on the 07's..didnt mean to get you on the defensive side of this topic..to make you happy "THE 07zx6r WILL BE THE KING OF THE 600's THIS YEAR"..[8D]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
*nods It's gonna be the king for sure!!! I never said it is lacking speed/HP for the streets.. I'm just wondering how it's gonna handle with shitty station gas... I've had nothing but bad luck at a few of the stations I usually have to hit up... It seems like they get the worst gas ever... First in my bike, then my car... And just last time on my boat... Reguardless it's gonna be the perfect 600 for me to step up to, and I think it's a shame I will be riding it on the streets mainly, cause I won't be able to afford going to the track every week.. Instead a nice cruise will have to suffice...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Keys to good gas, first off, use the highest octane you can (with a 13.9:1 compression ratio) and NEVER get gas right after the supply truck has just left. It stirs of the rust and crud in the bottom of the tanks, fouling your gas.

·
Registered
474 Posts
with such a high compression, the ignition will be severely retarded with stock ecu, for engine reliability purposes. that means the kit ecu will be a hugh benefit.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
A lot more comes into play with compressision ratios than just that.. Head design is another major role in how everything interacts. Im sure kawi did their homework, and im sure the power will be ample, when is it not on these bikes? :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by spitz04
A lot more comes into play with compressision ratios than just that.. Head design is another major role in how everything interacts. Im sure kawi did their homework, and im sure the power will be ample, when is it not on these bikes? :D
exactly, we are talking about the difference between a 12 megaton nuclear bomb and a 15 megaton bomb. Either way, shit is gonna blow the fuck up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
if your so worried about mid range response you could always buy a Triumph 675, or even just wait till the bike comes out a take it for a ride and see if you like it.:D either way i wouldn't get to cut up tryin to extract engine characteristics from some compression ratio stats. just me

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by keith_phan
with such a high compression, the ignition will be severely retarded with stock ecu, for engine reliability purposes. that means the kit ecu will be a hugh benefit.
So does this mean it's gonna user higher than 91 octane?

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Not necessarily.. Like i said there is a lot more to this then just compression ratio, how the air flows in the head and quench areas in the combustion chambers, there is a LOT more that produces a final outcome to power, definatly not soley on compression ratio.. Same thing goes with displacement.. Lot more to the equation than whats being taken into consideration!

·
Registered
678 Posts
just my two cents. look in your 03-04 owners manual if you got one. Under the section about what kind of gas to use it says "At least 89 octane" I never use any less than 91, but that leaves some room for error and i believe the 636 is 12.9:1?? might be wrong on that one. anyways, could running too high an octane be bad? there's a gas station here that sells 105? remeber that guy that got 126 whp out of his 636 on 87 octance? theres a thread on it somewhere on here, i remember reading.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.