Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 2007 ninja 650r a few months ago. It had been sitting for about a year and after flushing out the old gas and trying for a minute it turned over and ran. I have since moved and now when I try to start it it will try but there is no spark and the fuel pump wont prime. I have tried bump starting it to no avail. Figuring its an electrical problem and looking for guidance.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Have you checked all fuses and electrical connections etc?
bad fuel can sometimes result in clogged fuel systems and the pump could be seized however you’re getting no spark as well. Would indicate an electrical issue. Battery charged ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bad fuel can sometimes result in clogged fuel systems and the pump could be seized however you’re getting no spark as well. Would indicate an electrical issue. Battery charged ?
So I've had it running since i flushed out the old fuel and new fuel in. Battery is brand new. I watched some youtube videos and am going to clean out the electrical connections and hope that works. The schematics i found online make it look like the spark plugs and pump are intertwined electrically. All fuses are fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both fuel pump and spark plugs are getting12v

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the pump is getting 12 v and not priming its likely seized. That doesnt explain your lack of spark and the two faults coinciding makes me suspicious. WHen measuring the 12v at the pump did you put the multimeter leads across the two pins on the pump plug or did you measure between the pump plug positive and the battery post.... the reason i ask is that you may well have the 12v between pump plug and battery but not across the pump. This could be because of a bad earth connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measured from the battery to the pump post. I did some more investigating and believe I have a bad fuel pump relay, which on the wiring diagram for the bike seems to also be upstream from the spark plugs. Im ordering a new one tomorrow and hope that fixes it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I measured from the battery to the pump post. I did some more investigating and believe I have a bad fuel pump relay, which on the wiring diagram for the bike seems to also be upstream from the spark plugs. Im ordering a new one tomorrow and hope that fixes it.
Did this fix it?

·
Registered
Race 09 ER650N,07 SV650S,Cbx250 twister,86 Gsxr750. Road 13 GTR 1400, ER650F,06 SV650S,86 Gsxr1100
111 Posts
If you battery voltage is to low the ECU wont boot up , the fuel pump wont prime and it wont bump start so check this 1st.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts