Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone if the new 2007 zx6r is faster then the 06 636? I have not seen any numbers posted anywhere yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think, pure conjecture, the new 07 will be slower than the 06 636 in a straight line. The selling point will probably be flickability through transitions.

This is just based on comparing the 06 636 and the 06 r6 with the 636 running 10.583 through the quarter and the r6 running 10.738. The extra displacement on the 636 gives it that extra bit of torque, helping it move.

On the track, the more flickable 600 wins, but if you're talking straight line acceleration, 06.

All this is in tenths of a second though. Just pick the one you like more. I doubt you'll really notice the difference on the street.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Kawasaki is claiming straight up that the 07 6r will have more power, torque, and a wider powerband than the 06 636. It's in their press release.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know, but I still don't believe it'll be faster than an 06.

Shrugs, maybe I'll have to eat my words, but I see it as you can honestly only get so much torque out of a certain displacement at a certain rpm. The 636 was clearly heads above any of the other 600's in terms of dyno sheets for torque. I think it's Kawi marketing. If they design the motor different, they can get 599cc class leading torque and an even higher rpm figure for max horsepower. Then technically, they're marketing department will be correct, since the powerband is wider. It's like say theoretically, a bike had max torque was at 12rpm and max hp at 15 with 16 redline. They're technically correct in terms of a wider powerband if the bike has max torque at 12.5k rpm, max hp at 16rpm and redline at 16.5.

But honestly, a higher torque sounds awfully suspicious to me. I guess we'll see.

Again, this is just my conjecture based on previous engine design.

Shrugs, I also just find it funny how the 06 r6 was supposedly clearly superior to the 05 r6. but when compared alongside the 06 r6s (which should be the 05), the 06 r6s suddenly runs .3 seconds slower through the quarter than the 05 model and marginally .05 seconds slower than the 06 r6.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I kinda hate to say it but I think the 07 will make more power. The compression is bumped to 13.9:1 over 05-06's 12.9:1 and that alone should make a decent improvement in torque and horsepower. Low drag internal engine parts such as ring packs, pistons, ect. will also make a few more ponies and more rev' happy. You have to think all the mods we can do to our bikes to get a few more HP out of and the results can get are impressive. Kawasaki's got millions of dollars and teams of people working to make the best even better. I think the 07's going to one badass machine and definately the top in class.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Daryl636 -> I highly doubt that, but it does depend largely on the dyno. The 06 636 in all the comparos was posting anywhere from 108 at the wheel to 112 at the wheel (it was always consistantly highest HP, and about 2hp up over the next highest competitor). I wouldn't be surprised to see WHP figures around 112 to 118, though, but 120 might be too much on the high side.

SilverLightning -> I totally get the marketing bit, and I definately wouldn't put it past them, but the 6RR was putting out good power and torque...it was just, what, 2hp shy of the new R6, but like up 5 or 6 lb/ft of torque with a midrange torque gap of 10+ lb/ft over the R6. They created a completely new engine from the block in, and did a whole lot of R&D to best their 636 in torque and power. Plus, with it being more race-oriented, I'd be willing to bet it has a pretty short gear ratio. I have no doubt it's going to be faster. Just by how much, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Subhuman,

Sorry, I wasn't really clear in my posting earlier. I sort of jumbled together the whole powerband, max torque, and overall torque descriptor.

Anyways, I meant to have 2 differentiated points.

1) Wider powerband, I think that's clear? I hope.

2) The torque curve. That's the main problem I have with all the rumors that circulate every year. Yes, there's all that talk of a lower friction, higher spinning motor, but that's usually just a cure for peak torque, not the torque curve. If you look at the dyno for a 1986 suzuki gs650, you'll see that it's torque curve is pretty much identical to the zx-6r until the gs hits it's peak torque at around 8k while newer technology allows the 6r to spin up to 14.5. that's 20 years of technology difference. spinning the motor higher will never overcome the problem that is displacement gives you low end torque and a higher curve. The 07 may hit a higher peak since it revs 2000 more than the 636, but dyno wise, expect to see another high strung r6-like motor. It'll peak well, but down low expect to be missing that torque.

Check it out http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/046_0607_middleweights_dyno_testing/# The 636 stands clearly above the 600's. The r6 is much lower due to it's design philosophy of a pure race breed machine that spins higher.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/street_bike_dyno_charts/# this is the 05 model. notice again, with similar design parameters in terms of the 599's, in terms of top rpm, the 599's are all pretty much the same with the 636 higher.

You can hit a higher peak torque by stretching it out and spinning that motor alot, but don't expect a 636 torque curve in the normal band, unless you always stay in the real powerband. Physics is still physics. Theres a limit to displacement. All we can do it just spin it higher and higher. It's like F1 cars. They make big power because they're spun up to 19k, but down low, it'd be like driving a civic. that's why f1 cars idle at about the speed of a civic's redline.

Hope that clarifies my point.

·
Registered
520 Posts
All is cool. I was pretty much rambling away randomly. It wasnt aimed towards your comments. I mostly agree with what you are saying, I just think they pulled it off. They can do it to race bikes they can do it to production bikes. Although the normal band might fail to exceed or meet the 636 as you were saying.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i bet a 636 with ecu mod will outpower the new zx6r. then again there might be an exu mod for the new one as well lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it does make more power than a 636 there is no way it will have the "down low grunt". Low end torque is what makes the 636 such a great STREETbike. According to the mags, you have to leave the stoplight at 6k rpm on the new r6 just so you don't bog down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
the compression is exactly the same as the 05/06 RR's. 13.9:1. Same bore same stroke.....they are improving on an already venerable platform....just to you 636 guys....the 600 has been around for a while now.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think its funny that you guys are here making statements and trying to justify them... There's no solid numbers released yet, so good luck comparing.

I do hope that the 07 is faster (even though its one ugly mofo), since the 05-06 was no faster than the 03-04...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Who knows? There really is no replacement for displacement, but 13.9 to 1 compression will make it interesting when you go looking for hi octane down the highway! Seriously the '07 bike has to meet Euro 3 emissions so A higher compression ratio woill have to have a really hi capacity ECU to insure it burns clean without detonation. Timing and fueling adjusments will have to have hi processor speed and accurate knock sensors. I can't wait...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by MaDgamEr
I do hope that the 07 is faster (even though its one ugly mofo), since the 05-06 was no faster than the 03-04...
What are you basing that on? Lap times at a specific track?

Because from what I see, the 05 was faster than the 03 model.

Motorcyclist:
2003:
1/4 mile - 10.87 seconds
60-80 roll on - 4.34seconds

2005:
1/4 mile - 10.38
60-80 roll on - 3.5 seconds

Sportrider:
2003:
1/4 mile 10.67 seconds
60-80 4.34seconds
80-100 4.3seconds

2005:
1/4 mile 10.38seconds
60-80 3.5seconds
80-100 3.51 seconds

·
Registered
997 Posts
Originally posted by SilverLightning

What are you basing that on? Lap times at a specific track?

Because from what I see, the 05 was faster than the 03 model.

Motorcyclist:
2003:
1/4 mile - 10.87 seconds
60-80 roll on - 4.34seconds

2005:
1/4 mile - 10.38
60-80 roll on - 3.5 seconds

Sportrider:
2003:
1/4 mile 10.67 seconds
60-80 4.34seconds
80-100 4.3seconds

2005:
1/4 mile 10.38seconds
60-80 3.5seconds
80-100 3.51 seconds
And the '03- '04 was lighter too but the '05-'06 handles much much better, if kawaski put the same engine refinments as the 6rr in the 6r it would be a sweet high reving power monster i think kwaka has been a little lazy on the 6r as it has the xtra 36cc... so the '07 will be one kick arse engine as it has to make up for all the buyers that were after the xtra torque the 636 offers.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
I got into a spat with a guy I know at a Yamaha dealership. We made a bet that my 03 636 is lighter than the 'bad-ass' R6. This spawned from me saying that it was a nice bike, but overpriced and WAY over-hyped...that it wasn't as good of a bike as the 05/06 636. He made the AMA SS championship argument, at which point I made the comment that it was all Hacking, and we'll see next year, since he just signed with Kawi. He looked about ready to swallow his tongue when I told him that...I could see the fear in his eyes. lmao...so anyway, we looked up the dry weights of both the 03 636 and the 06 R6...which was a little tough, because apparently Yamaha didn't even publish the weight of the R6 in the dealer specs sheets. Man, that makes me want to trust Yamaha, let me tell you. So anyway, after a bit of searching, I found some hard numbers:

03 Kawi 636 - 355 lbs dry
06 Yamaha R6 - 357 lbs dry

So I won the bet, but then he was pulling the 'oh, it's only two pounds' thing, at which point I mentioned that the R6 comes stock with a titanium exhaust, and that the stock 03 636 system is full stainless steel, and that I dropped about 14 lbs from my dry weight by switching to a full titanium setup...so basically, now that both bikes have titanium exhaust systems, it's more like:

03 Kawi 636 - 341 lbs dry
06 R6 - 357 lbs dry

By the end of it I had most of the people in the sales and parts staff listening in and watching the computer where we were doing the searching. At the end of it all, the sales manager came up and shook my hand. lmao

So, basically...I love Kawi.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.