Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm helping a buddy of mine with his bike, I don't remember the miles off hand, so heres the situation, cylinder 4 is at 120 psi, the bike runs and he does ride it, it's been about two weeks and the psi is still at 120 so here's my question would the valves being out of adjustment on that one cylinder cause it not to build proper pressure, any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
35 Posts
How much compression in the other cylinders? The comparison between cylinders is more important than the absolute number.

Be sure to check compression with the motor fully warmed up, all plugs removed, and the throttle held fully open.

If one cylinder is low, then spray a small amount of oil into it thru the spark plug hole. Then run the starter for a few turns and check it again. If the pressure is a lot higher now that probably indicates a piston ring problem. If the reading is the same it’s more likely a valve issue.

In any case you should also be checking valve clearances and timing if you haven’t already.

If everything checks out and you still have low compression, and the bike is not running well because if it, the head needs to come off to investigate further .....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts