Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I am a new rider, I have only ridden on mopeds before this and regular bikes. This will be my first major purchase and it will be entirely for transportation from Home to school to work. I wish to find out which one of these 2 motorcycles the Ninja 250 or the Rebel 250 would be a better choice for me, Here is some information I have gathered so far about it comparing them

#1 The Ninja 250 is 100 dollars more than the Rebel 250

#2 The Ninja 250 gets 5 MPG (75) more than the Honda Rebel 250.

#3 The Ninja 250 can go up to 100mph (With some people) While the rebel maxes out at 80 mph.

#4 There is plastic parts on the ninja 250 and it weighs more than the Rebel which is all metal parts.

#5 The insurance on the Ninja 250 quote gives me 450 a year vs the Honda Rebel 250 which is 209 a year.

#6 People on the Rebel forums did state that the Ninja 250's tune ups and maintenance are more than on the Rebel, and are also much more difficult to do it yourself. "Stuff like Valve adjustment and balancing the twin carburetors would be it"

#7 The Ninja 250 is much more likely statistically to be targeted by a thief than the honda rebel 250. (My classes are all at night I work in the day)

#8 If dropped (And since its my first bike there is a GOOD chance it will be) The replacement parts on the Ninja 250 plastic is more expensive than polish and fixing scratches on the metal of the Rebel.

#9 The rebel is just bearly capable of going on the freeway while the Ninja 250 can actually go on it quite easily.

#10 it is easier to carry stuff on a Rebel 250 because you can get saddle bags for it.

#11 "Rumor" The Rebel 250 is built to last while the Ninja will die out within 3-6 years.

So If you guys know any other points to consider for both bikes to help me decide I would appreciate it, I am asking both here and in a Honda Rebel site. So I can take both responses and come to a conclusion. I will probably be buying this motorcycle around January or March of 2009 so Its quite a bit off still but I want to know what I want from now.

G

·
#1 The Ninja 250 is 100 dollars more than the Rebel 250
I'm not sure about the OTD price on the Rebel, but the Ninja is going to run in the ballpark of $4200 on the low end from a dealer once they add in all the fees - with either bike, I'd suggest looking for a used one in the area - especially during the winter, as you are likely to find a great deal this way!

#2 The Ninja 250 gets 5 MPG (75) more than the Honda Rebel 250.
These figures are not accurate. I saw a rating of 71 for the Rebel in a recent Motrocyclist magazine where the Ninja tends to run in the upper 50's to lower 60's depending on the rider

#3 The Ninja 250 can go up to 100mph (With some people) While the rebel maxes out at 80 mph.
I've seen indicated speeds of 110+ for the Ninja posted on this forum- I personally haven't exceeded 72 indicated, but there was plenty of room to go faster at that speed...

#5 The insurance on the Ninja 250 quote gives me 450 a year vs the Honda Rebel 250 which is 209 a year.
This is going to very based on the insurance company - with my company it's based on the displacement and year of the bike - either one would have run me the same $160ish a year figure...

#6 People on the Rebel forums did state that the Ninja 250's tune ups and maintenance are more than on the Rebel, and are also much more difficult to do it yourself. "Stuff like Valve adjustment and balancing the twin carburetors would be it"
I haven't run into anything I couldn't handle myself with the help of kkim's guidance through posts, and I'm a first-time motorcycle owner as well - and a girl to boot!

#7 The Ninja 250 is much more likely statistically to be targeted by a thief than the honda rebel 250. (My classes are all at night I work in the day)
I'm not sure about the accuracy of this statement, but with either one, if they want it, they're going to find a way to get it - you just need to take precautions to make it more difficult for them and to help deter them

#8 If dropped (And since its my first bike there is a GOOD chance it will be) The replacement parts on the Ninja 250 plastic is more expensive than polish and fixing scratches on the metal of the Rebel.
you can always remove the plastics while you are learning to ride, and you can install frame sliders to prevent frame damage

#10 it is easier to carry stuff on a Rebel 250 because you can get saddle bags for it.
They make bag systems for the Ninja as well. And honestly, you wouldn't want to carry much on the rebel - it doesn't have the power for it - not that the Ninja is much better, but this shouldn't really be a deciding factor in your decision- you could carry things equally as well on either one

#11 "Rumor" The Rebel 250 is built to last while the Ninja will die out within 3-6 years.
Rumor is correct - if you look at used bikes for sale, there are plenty of older ninjas just as well as the older rebels...

I have to admit I am biased since I am now a Ninja owner, but I started this journey thinking I would get the Rebel. After seeing them both, and sitting on both, there was NO way I would take anything other than the Ninja.

Good luck with your decision :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4200 WTF?!? MSRP is 3,500 where does the other 700 come from?

Rebel MSRP is 3,300 out the dealership it costs $3,570 From the dealership I already talked to.

G

·
4200 WTF?!? MSRP is 3,500 where does the other 700 come from?

Rebel MSRP is 3,300 out the dealership it costs $3,570 From the dealership I already talked to.
MSRP has increased to 3999 for the '09 models. Most of the used '08's that I've seen selling lately have been going around $3800. Supply and demand...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeez never mind Rebel all the way, If I got a Ninja I could not afford gear. My budget is a sold 5000 dollars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It really depends on what size you are too, aswell as which you like better. I'm 6'2 and when I rode the rebel 250 my knees were basically touching the handle bars. It was fun to rip around on, but not suitable for a bigger rider. Whereas I own a ninja250 and am fully comfortable riding it.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
You can get a used ninja, you know. And be well under your budget for gear and the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
IMO it's all about STYLE and COST
but no bike is gonna be cheap.

The Ninja looks sleek and sporty , but costs more
while the Rebel looks like a baby Harley, and is cheaper.

If you want to look good on the bike , get the Ninja.
If you want to get laughed at by the real HD riders, get the Rebel.
(personally, I'd get the Nighthawk before I got a Rebel though ...)

and #11 "rumor" ... is complete bs imo ... IF you take care of the bike.
Ride like a fool and you won't get 3 years out of it. Maintenance is the key.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You probably won't need your valves adjusted until the 7500 mile inspection on the ninja. All other maintenance is rather easy, or pick up a manual to help. As far as the bike only lasting 3-6 years!? did one of the rebel guys tell you that? Depends on how you ride, but count on it lasting way longer than that. I've spent $150 on maintenance over the past 5 months and i'm at 1500 miles on my 08'. Thats with all work done at dealer. Pick up an 08 ninja for around 4grand, it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was in a similar situation to you when I started looking for a bike, I looked at both the honda rebel and the Ninja 250. I also considered the yamaha and suzuki 250s, but they are pretty much the same as the rebel, and with personal preference in years of riding offroad, nothing compares to a honda for me in terms of reliablity, so that rules the suzuki and yammy out for me.

When it came down to looking at the two bikes, in my opinion, the Ninja is FAR superior. The ninja comes with things such as dual disks, a far better suspension, and it is watercooled (obviousely making the rebel air cooled).

Also, the top speeds of the bikes. Now honestly, 80mph is fast enough, BUT if you were ever on the freeway with the rebel, you would be redlining that bike the entire ride to keep it at freeway speeds. The ninja on the otherhand, though still high up in the RPMs, will cruise comfortably at 80.

Another advantage to the Ninja is acceleration. The ninja isn't "fast" in terms of bikes, but it is FAR quicker then the rebel. I believe the Ninja doesthe quarter in the mid 14's if your good while the rebel cant break 17. I can't say thats 100% accurate though, but regardless, the rebel doesnt sound like it's fast enough to get out of its own way at times.

Now the flip side. The rebel DOES have advantages over the ninja.

As you mentioned, insurance (for most companies) will be cheaper. As will any repair costs (though repairs on ANY bike is expensive).

Contrary to your post, from what I have read, the rebel gets FAR better gas milage then the 250. I have seen reports of people with rebels getting over 100mpg, while the new ninjas I haven't seen any reports over 75.

The rebel is definately a lot less likely to be stolen. It is definately possible, but not nearly as likely.

The rebel WILL be a lot cheaper. You should be able to pick up a brand new 08 rebel in dealerships for 3100 out the door, while a ninja, if your lucky, you might find 4300 out the door new.

I would also consider the rebel to be far more reliable. There doesnt seem to be any issues with reliability in the ninja, but Hondas aircooled engines have always been pretty bulletproof. There are Ninja 250s out there with well over 50,000 miles on them though.

In my opinion, the Ninja is the better of the two, but the rebel wouldn't be a bad bike. However, if your going the route of the rebel, I would DEFINATELY buy used. You should be able to pick up at 05 for around 2200 in good condition and I believe they still look identical to the 09s.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Like many people I rode the Rebels and Nighthawks when I took the MSF. There is no doubt in my mind the '08+ Ninja 250 is a better bike. Looking down the list of your questions I think the pre-'08 Ninja 250's might be the better bike for you. The '88-'07 Ninja 250's are lighter, gets better fuel economy (can get to the 75 mpg that you quoted), cheaper to buy (a good example can be had for $2000 or less)/insure and proven reliability (engine is good for 50-60k miles). Fairings/parts are pretty easy and cheap to come by on the pre-'08's too because they have been around for ~20 years withou any change. It doesn't have the good looks of the current 250 and doesn't handle as well but it's still a better bike than either of Honda's IMHO. BTW, the fact that the Ninja 250's are more expensive to buy also means that they hold their resale values better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got an '08 250 and my wife has an '06 Rebel. Her bike is lighter and can't take the highway as well as my bike can. I would advise taking the Ninja.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had both bikes.. I started out on the Rebel about 5 years ago. Also ride a big cruiser, a 600 gsxr, and now also own a 08 Ninja 250, too. The Ninja is the most fun and easiest to ride of all of them!

If you are short, the Rebel might fit you better, though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I looked at both. In the end, the fact that the Ninja was water cooled (hot here in FL, overheating in traffic sucks) and the difference in performance between the two sealed the decision.

Ride a Rebel, the Ninja's no rocket, but the Rebel seemed dangerously slow to be in traffic on.

FWIW, the Nighthawk was right out. Is that a drum brake on the front wheel? Good God.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yep, we know that... go ask the Rebel riders, though. :eek:
I rode one in the MFS course. Was brand new, had 23 miles on it. It was a POS. If they were priced for $2500 new then I would say it was a great bike for the value, but not at the current new price.

Are there a lot of rebel riders? I've never seen one other than at the MFS course. I see a bunch of 250's on the road though.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Seriously, a rebel?? It's a glorified scooter.
lol... people say the same thing about the 250R. :D
Except the Ninja 250 actually handles.

I would take a Ninja 250 over ANY cruiser. IMO, the Ninja 250 makes just enough HP to be practical transportation, and that Rebel 250 wont.

I'm kinda biased though, I really hate cruisers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
well..i learned on my friends gz250 earlier this year and so did he....i told him about the 08 ninja 250 coming out and didnt wanna hear anything about it...his eyes were set on the cruiser.....i ended up gettin an 08 ninja 250 and im glad i did....my friends still pissed off at cuz he didnt wait

im 5'10 and 165 lbs
the gz250 tops out at about 75 with me on it and the ninja250 at (105 (both indicated).....with the lonnnnng straight expressways here in miami 70 just isnt enough speed sometimes....especially really late at night when there isnt a car around on the expressway...

im young (almost 22 :D) and i am drawn more towards the "sporty" look so im happy with what i got.....my friend .....well....he isnt:Laughing rolling:

newayz...good luck n let us know what u end up getting;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well I decided guys I can't afford a 250 and I want one more than a Rebel, So... I will buy one NEXT december! I have about 4000 dollars saved up now. So by next December I should have about 6500 saved up (I don't work most of it is Financial aid and family help, No Im not lazy I take 18 units per semester no time 4 work >.<). Even if a Ninja 250 SPIKES up in price AGAIN to a new estimated 4000 MSRP 4500 out the lot... I could afford it AND gear and probably insurence depending on which company I get (The guys at the Rebel forums tell me il pay 900 a year so I am not sure about the Insurance part). I am also 6.0 ft tall...so the Rebel is a bit small and uncomfortable for me.

But yeah Ill wait another year to get a 2009-2010 Ninja next Winter. What do you guys think, Better idea than buying a Rebel this coming spring?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts