Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! New member here!

So, I'm coming from the Ninjette forums. I've been riding my awesome little custom EX250 for years and finally decided to upgrade to a 2008 Ninja 650R. The guy I bought it from rode it daily and it's in pretty-damn-good shape (other than the trash paint-job [currently in the process of painting all the appropriate parts, so bike the is naked -- other than the tank]). There's just one issue that only recently popped-up: The bike won't start. The seller told me to get a new CDI box, because the original went bad. So, I did. I got a new one and popped it in, so there's that. There have been no mods done to the bike whatsoever, other than some blue under-glow. This is my first ever fuel-injected bike, as well. The guy who sold it to me said that he'll gladly come over and help me figure it out, which is nice. He said that he's never had any issue with getting it started. Nonetheless, I wanna try fixing it on my own, first. I'm hoping someone here might could help me. It would be greatly appreciated, if so!

Now, I've got a fair amount of electrical and mechanical knowledge. But, as I just mentioned, this is my first FI bike. The bike turns over just fine, but won't start. When you turn the key, the LCD on the instrumentation flashes "FUEL" and the gas light flashes in unison. The gas-tank is completely full. I have no clue what that's about. Sitting on the bike and lifting the kickstand does nothing, either. I checked the fuses (never hurts) and tested them for continuity. All but the 15A fuse checked-out. So, I bought a pack of 10s and a pack of 15s, then changed them all out. I turned the key, all the appropriate lights came on, noises were made, so-on-and-so-forth, but nothing; still wouldn't start up. The battery is good (reads just below 13V).

I popped the seat off and looked for the diagnostic wire, jumped it, and the FI light doesn't throw a code. The FI light works, because it comes on when you turn the ignition key and the system boot-up begins. The FI light just won't show a code at all. I've held the jumper in place for long-enough -- nothing. I'm just not sure what's up with it. If I could just get a code, I'd be golden. I've even tried turning the bike off, jumping the wire, then turning the bike on. That didn't work.

f anyone could possibly help me out, I'd be very thankful!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forums!
I'd check that all the connections to the fuel tank are ok, when you turn the key are you sure you hear the injectors priming? If those fail I'd check spark, it's a pain to get to the coils but if you got turning then it's either fuel or spark that's missing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I can hear the injectors whirring and all that when I turn the key. I've got a new gas tank coming either today or tomorrow (current one has a dent bad enough that it's crimped a body-line). So, I was thinking I'll finish painting the new tank, then slap it on and see if that works. Until then, I'll check the current connections on the tank that's already on the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I took the old tank off to prep for the new one that's coming. Lifted the bottom up to unhook everything, and there isn't even a damn pump on it. It's just some whack job done with a tube and JB Weld. Not happy whatsoever. I can't get the gas cap off, either, because someone thought it was smart to use threadlock on aluminum hex-head bolts. It's looking like it's gonna be a while until she's on the road, now. Great.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well, I took the old tank off to prep for the new one that's coming. Lifted the bottom up to unhook everything, and there isn't even a damn pump on it. It's just some whack job done with a tube and JB Weld. Not happy whatsoever. I can't get the gas cap off, either, because someone thought it was smart to use threadlock on aluminum hex-head bolts. It's looking like it's gonna be a while until she's on the road, now. Great.
Welcome :)

Good luck and ride your Kawi again asap!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
Jesus, how did it run before??? EFI needs fuel pressure in the lines lol Starting to sound a bit suspect... I'd have a proper look at everything if I were you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Jesus, how did it run before??? EFI needs fuel pressure in the lines lol Starting to sound a bit suspect... I'd have a proper look at everything if I were you!
The fella before me showed plenty of proof that it ran, and he used it daily for transport. And, my bad -- I apologize. I meant that it didn't have a standard pump on it. It had one of those crappy lil' Chinese, aftermarket, cylindrical-shaped pumps on it that you buy from eBay for $40-50. The hose from the tank went to the intake of that specific pump, then he ran the output of it to the intake of the bike, as you would with the stock hose for the stock pump. He snipped the red/ white wire for the plugin and plugged it into one of the pump terminals, too. He grounded the other terminal. He's an honest-enough dude, though. He just did a lot of nasty rig-jobs on the poor bike.

When I took the tank off and all that junk, I hung it up on my painting rack and looked in the tube. The tube had a bit of rubber crud in it from the hose he had on it. So, I believe that was the reason why she wouldn't fire up.

I'm currently removing all the paint off of the new tank that came earlier today. So, I've just gotta rinse it, dry it, scuff it a little, prime, paint, clear, and put in the new pump with all the fixings. Cap, too. I just bought some new NGK plugs (stock; iridium) for the bike. So, I'm gonna slap those suckers in before putting the finished tank on. I fixed the crappy wiring from the previous owner, too. Also switched-up the position for the under-glow LEDs. I'm very confident that she'll wake up roaring. :cool:

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
The fella before me showed plenty of proof that it ran, and he used it daily for transport. And, my bad -- I apologize. I meant that it didn't have a standard pump on it. It had one of those crappy lil' Chinese, aftermarket, cylindrical-shaped pumps on it that you buy from eBay for $40-50. The hose from the tank went to the intake of that specific pump, then he ran the output of it to the intake of the bike, as you would with the stock hose for the stock pump. He snipped the red/ white wire for the plugin and plugged it into one of the pump terminals, too. He grounded the other terminal. He's an honest-enough dude, though. He just did a lot of nasty rig-jobs on the poor bike.

When I took the tank off and all that junk, I hung it up on my painting rack and looked in the tube. The tube had a bit of rubber crud in it from the hose he had on it. So, I believe that was the reason why she wouldn't fire up.

I'm currently removing all the paint off of the new tank that came earlier today. So, I've just gotta rinse it, dry it, scuff it a little, prime, paint, clear, and put in the new pump with all the fixings. Cap, too. I just bought some new NGK plugs (stock; iridium) for the bike. So, I'm gonna slap those suckers in before putting the finished tank on. I fixed the crappy wiring from the previous owner, too. Also switched-up the position for the under-glow LEDs. I'm very confident that she'll wake up roaring. :cool:
Glad you've got to the bottom of it but if i were you i'd get a whole used pump assembly, they can be had for okay prices...Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just updating you guys on what's up. So, I finished painting and everything the other day. All of the fairings are back on. But, I'm waiting for a sticker to come, so I can slap it onto the gas tank and cover it with some clear coat. I popped the new battery and new iridium plugs into the bike. Man, those old plugs were NASTY. I also noticed that the breather tube that connects from the airbox to the gearbox isn't even the right tube and is way too short. So, I ordered a new airbox assembly off of eBay for $25, as opposed to $25 for just the stupid tube by itself.

Oh, and I managed to get a code thrown! I reckon the plugs were just bad the first time around and that's why the bike wouldn't start-up, so no code was really necessary. But, I got error code #13, which is because I currently have the airbox off until I get the new breather tube.

I'll post photos when she's back to life!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts