Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums, so go easy on me.

First off, got this bike a year or so ago, and it ran great, no problems. One day i went for a highway ride, didn't realize i was low on gas till it was to late, after driving 30-45 min, my gas light came on, i was in the middle of no where, couldn't find a gas station for the life of me and i eventually ran out of gas and coasted onto the off ramp, a gas station was just on the other side. Anyway, the bike died, the FI light came on, i pushed it up a little while, then it fired up again, for another 100 feet, then died. Id let the bike cool down while i tried pushing it and thru a series of starting, driving 50 feet then die again, i managed to get gas in it. Drove it home but FI light was now on and not going away. The next day i noticed i was having trouble finding neutral, i could eventually find it, but over time it got to the point where i cant get the bike into neutral at all(least the light isn't coming on). So i parked it.......for about a year.

Now we get to today, a year later. i put a new battery in, change out the oil(heard this could cause the neutral issue) and cleaned out the coolant(it was NASTY). The bike powers up, still cant find neutral so the bike just clicks if i try and fire up. When i pull the kickstand back and hit the starter, all power goes out. If i disconnect the battery and reconnect, it typically powers up again, but still cuts out if i try and start it. A few times, if i jiggled the negative lead, it would power up. ONCE.....just once, the bike cranked, but it lurched forward, spooked me, and i let off the starter which stopped it from cranking, have yet to get it to crank at all since then.

So my problems are the FI light, loses all power when trying to start and cant find neutral.

Ive sanded off the contacts for the battery and all other components connected to the battery, didnt seem to make a difference. Im not really sure what to do at this point. Ive been reading forums but im still kinda lost. I really hope i dont have to open up the motor, but i can if i have to.

Any ideas or tips to try?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
Onto your issue.
As the Bike sits now if you go to it with it sitting on the side stand, Turn the Ignition on, Does the Neutral light come on ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
Onto your issue.
As the Bike sits now if you go to it with it sitting on the side stand, Turn the Ignition on, Does the Neutral light come on ?
no neutral light at all

·
Registered
333 Posts
Locate the Neutral Switch behind the Chrome cover gear change side of the Bike and test it,
To do this when you locate the switch pull the single wire Bullet connector off the switch and with the Ignition switched on touch that wire to any Metal part of the Bike (Ground) and the light should come on.
If it does then the switch is likely suspect..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Locate the Neutral Switch behind the Chrome cover gear change side of the Bike and test it,
To do this when you locate the switch pull the single wire Bullet connector off the switch and with the Ignition switched on touch that wire to any Metal part of the Bike (Ground) and the light should come on.
If it does then the switch is likely suspect..
sorry for my ignorance, but im looking through all the specs and cant figure out where this neutral switch is. If im sitting on the bike, hands on the handlebars, is it on the right or left? is it behind something that will have fluid in it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sitting on the Bike it's under that big chrome cover, No Fluid involved..
Lets see that in Pictures as I always find they help.
SO
First one shows the Chrome Alternator cover removal procedure.

This one shows where the Switch is C under the cover you removed above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts