Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to stiffen my rear suspension on the bike and the owners manual wasn't very explicit. I am a little more than the 150lb rider they set it up for. I was wondering if there are any tools needed to make the adjustment, looks almost like a spanner wrench or something may be needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys, I want to stiffen my rear suspension on the bike and the owners manual wasn't very explicit. I am a little more than the 150lb rider they set it up for. I was wondering if there are any tools needed to make the adjustment, looks almost like a spanner wrench or something may be needed. Thanks.
The pre-load adjustment on the rear shock is to set pre-load, which will affect sag (ride height) but has no effect on stiffness. If you want to stiffen the rear suspension you need a stiffer spring. That said, yes there's a spanner in the toolkit under the seat that's used to turn the collar on the shock to set sag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't opened the tool kit yet, thanks, I'll take a look at it tonight. I don't have a spring issue, but I weight 280lbs and seems like the manual recommends going to a higher preload, maybe 6 or 7? Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I saw a chart somewhere once that compared rider weight to spring preload setting but I can't find it now. I was looking for it yesterday because I was adjusting the preload.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I haven't opened the tool kit yet, thanks, I'll take a look at it tonight. I don't have a spring issue, but I weight 280lbs and seems like the manual recommends going to a higher preload, maybe 6 or 7? Whats your thoughts?
This is what I used, but for some reason the manual says a bit differently..I weight 165 and it is set on the 4th preload. In the manual I think it says 4th is 150lbs and on this site it shows 150 would be probably a 3... Kawasaki Ninja 650 Motorcycles . With a passenger it will most likely be at the highest setting nonetheless. Unless both ppl weigh less than 250lbs max Hope this helps

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is what I used, but for some reason the manual says a bit differently..I weight 165 and it is set on the 4th preload. In the manual I think it says 4th is 150lbs and on this site it shows 150 would be probably a 3... Kawasaki Ninja 650 Motorcycles . With a passenger it will most likely be at the highest setting nonetheless. Unless both ppl weigh less than 250lbs max Hope this helps
Thanks for the link to the chart. I was looking at that site too and didn't see it. It does seem a little off from the manual though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the link to the chart. I was looking at that site too and didn't see it. It does seem a little off from the manual though.
I think its an older model(06-08) site potentially, because when I looked at the grab bars question, those part numbers are for the older models(not 09-10). The manual doesn't list a chart unfortunately...so using this guide would be a good reference point, for me at least...

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Set the sag for about an inch when all your weight is on the bike maybe a little more. At 280 lbs I'd guess the 5th or 6th position, probably 5th. The seventh position is correct for maximum load - 400 lbs. I'd go about 2 psi over the book pressure for the rear tyre as well.

While pre-load doesn't affect spring stiffness, with lighter riders it is possible to set zero sag. In this case the suspension won't start to deflect at all until the load exceeds the amount of preload. This means that you have no effective rear suspension over small bumps.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!! I've been looking for this a while now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts