Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a 2009 or newer concours? I'd love to hear what you think of it and if you can compare it to other STs like Honda ST 1300....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 09 that I bought in November of 2010. A friend has a Honda ST1300 and he loves it because it is a Honda. The C14 has a lot of stuff the St does not. The C14 wins every time there is a comparison in a magazine against all other sport tourers. The only thing I wish it had is a bigger fuel tank, it has a 5.8 tank compared to the ST 1300's 7.7 gal. I think it is a lot better looking than the St and it is a lot faster and handles a lot better and is a couple thousand dollars cheaper than the ST300.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I really like the looks of the 14. Question: I will be doing a lot of cold weather riding. Does the 14 fully block the wind to the hands, etc.? That was on thing I don't like about the FJR, the hands are still exposed. I know the faring on the ST1300 completely blocks the wind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 09 and have bar risers on it, and my hands are in the wind, But the 2010 & 2011 have the mirrors higher and block the wind a little better. My friend with the ST 13 made hand wings to go on top and bottom of the mirrors on his ST. You get wind from either of these bikes. But my friend and I came from Gold Wings to these bikes and on the Gold Wing you are protcted from the wind a lot more than on these sport bikes.I did order some hand wings from Baker Built for my 09.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What Joe said, and not only that but I read that Kawasaki made 64 upgrades to the 2010 model, basically taking all the complaints about the 08&09 model and doing their best to eliminate them even though it was still rated about the best ST bike on the market by a lot of magazines and testers. Some of the mags rate the BMW K1300GT better, and it may be, but it's also about 40% more. Not worth the extra dough for something only about 3% better in my book.

I give Kawasaki a big thumbs up for being that CS oriented and really listening. I can't think of any MC or car company that's ever been that responsive.

I wish there were more talk about the Concours here as it's a great ST bike and could possibly be my next bike if I test the Ninja 1k and don't feel like it's comfortable enough for all day rides. You might also want to check out concours.org.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm looking at upgrading within a year and the concours is looking better the more I read about it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wish there were more talk about the Concours here as it's a great ST bike and could possibly be my next bike if I test the Ninja 1k and don't feel like it's comfortable enough for all day rides. You might also want to check out concours.org.
Let me know if what you think about the Ninja 1000. I am torn between the Connie and the 1K for a sport tourer. I am looking for something bigger than my streetfighter that will haul 2 up in relative comfort and still be fun in the twisties. I have found that the hard bags won't be available for the 1K until May or so, and if it follows the same pricing as the other Givi bags, then add about another $800 to the price tag.

Not sure that I can afford a new '11 model, but from what I am reading, I may not want to go any older than the '08....doesn't seem that people get rid of them since I am not finding that many used ones!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2010 Concours, and I chose it over an ST 1300, FJR and BMW GT 1300. The GT is really the only comparable bike, and I might have gone that route except the 1300's have known life limiting engine problems.

It's definately more sport than touring. All I can say is, when I used to ride my 1200RT (fun ride) I missed my gsxr. When I ride the Concours, I don't. I would give it my recommendation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts