Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2009 Black ninja 250r with 115 miles on it. Since the day I got it, the bike would idle normally at 1350 rpms and when fully warmed up it would stay at 1350 rpms then sometimes rise to 3k and stay there. My first thoughts were to adjust the idle, but could the issue be the engine is still breaking in? Also, could the carbs be dirty after 115 miles? Let me know guys, thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Are you turning the choke off after it warms up? :D Does the bike randomly drop to 3,000 RPM say after you come to a stop and then slowly drop back down to 1,350 or does it stay there (assuming it's not the choke)?

If it's hanging and slowly dropping you likely have semi-clogged pilot jets. If it's staying there you have a vacuum leak. If it's intermittent then you probably have an intermittent vacuum leak ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes I turn off the choke fully. When I come to a stop I engage the clutch when its at about 1200rpms, then it goes straight back up to 3k. Could it be the idle?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine did that originally set up from dealer. It would warm up to 1500rpm but at stop lights it would only drop to 3000rpm. I had to lower the idle set knob a bit. Now it goes to 1500rpm every time. I suggest try lowering you idle a little bit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When i got mine from this guy it was idling at 1500 when warming up but then at stop lights around 2500 so i lowered my idle knob and its all good now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts