Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

2009 NINJA 250R NOT STARTING

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TashaCupCake 
#1 ·
Hi all, i’m new to this forum as i’ve just bought my first bike. This is a red kawasaki ninja 250R from 2009. I bought this bike and it was in good running condition, had the VIN ran, and everything. We returned this bike to my bourse after purchasing it, it rode fine, and we had no issue. The problem started a while later in the day, someone was riding it, and came back to the driveway and stopped, killed it, did all the normal stuff you do when you get ready to park and get off. The bike didn’t start after that point on. Would make the clicking noise as it was turning over and wanted to start, showed indicator lights on the dash, and nothing else. We narrowed it down to the starter relay solenoid, i bought a replacement and we installed it, checked all of the connectors, and tried again. It continued to click. Tried hitting the starter and going, no luck. It wanted to start but it didn’t. We tried jumping it following the correct procedure to do so, and it didn’t start. We then assumed that this battery was bad. Bought a new battery. Now, there’s no more clicking. New starter relay solenoid, new battery. Good connections to both and everything is clean. Nothing is bent and nothing is damaged. Battery is newly charged and tested as ready to go, but it’s still not even clicking now! None of the indicator lights come on more than a dim flicker, and pulling the clutch in, turning the kill to on, and hitting the starter button doesn’t even produce a click or turn over. Will not jump either as of an hour ago. We have no clue, I think this might be a faulty starter? Everything is correctly connected, but this bike doesn’t want to start anymore, at all. What could be causing this? We have full fluids as well. Everything worked when we got it, and when the bike was turned off from running the last time, it never wanted to start again. Need help ASAP! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome!

There are safety switches on the clutch lever and on the kickstand. The switch on the clutch won't let the bike try to start if it is in gear, and the switch on the kickstand won't let it try to start with the kickstand down if the bike is in gear. Make sure those switches are working correctly. You can put the bike in neutral and try to start it to test. Also, make sure the main fuse (and/or other fuses) didn't blow at some point when you were changing the battery and other parts out.

#3 ·
I just went in for the night so i’ll be back out tomorrow to have another look. I had not checked those switches and need to look up where they’re located, but the only way I can tell that the bike is in neutral is by rolling it. It will still lock up the wheel in gear ofc, but i have no light indication of true neutral, so i’m just treating it as it is in neutral because it can roll. We’ve had it in neutral or able to roll and had it on the kickstand at the same time, no start, without the kickstand down in neutral, no start, etc. We used to hear clicking and the lights came up on the dash, but with an addition of a newly charged battery (was charged off the bike elsewhere) and a new starter relay solenoid, we have lost that clicking. I assumed that clicking meant that it’s trying to start but it won’t. Our battery reads as charged and shows voltage on a meter. I will take a look at the two switches you mentioned and my fuses again, but last I checked all of them weren’t damaged. My biggest concern is loss of that clicking and my dash lights. I don’t understand how putting new working parts in made that go away, yet it still shows no signs of life. Starter??

#4 ·
The clicking it was doing before was most likely due to battery/charge issues. Now, it's probably not clicking nor turning over due to something not being connected properly (maybe a ground somewhere) or a blown fuse/bad relay, or a safety switch like I mentioned above, etc.

#6 ·
Okay, thanks. Will be looking for all of those things soon and it really seems to be that a fuse may be blown or something is not grounded correctly. Will be checking with a multimeter and a few other tools to narrow down the problem soon. Appreciate the help, i’m a total noob when it comes to electrical work.

#7 ·
I’ll give it a clean. When we inserted the new battery we made sure the connections were smooth and tight on there and covered up, no reason to not double check though. That’s a big worry, the stator, though. I’ll give that a look after I inspect all my connections and fuses. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.