Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think it would take to make a 98 and up zx7r do 200 mph+......safley or as safe as you can get at 200...lol
reason why i ask is becausei live here in dallas and 2 times a year they have an event were you can bring your street or race car/bike and try to see how fast you can go.....and i want to be in the 200mph club........bad! but i thought it would be cool to do it on something diffrent like a zx7

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
valve and head clean and reseat, new cams (if you can find some), thinner head gasket, +1 (ish on the front sprocket and -5 on the rear (speedo will be miles out) and lots of dyno time to set it up. If you've got time, then a turbo/NOS might help

·
Registered
150 Posts
Building a 200mph zx7, this would be a tough one. You would most def need to spend some ca$h.
Even if you built a beast like this out of a zx7, I dont think it would be a daily driver.

Thats my two Ab's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
u wanna build a 200 mph zx7r??? do some motor work.. (or take a 97 zx9r motor and do some motorwork and stuff it in the zx7r) then change the aerodynamics...

ull be amazed how much drag affects the top speed of a bike... or anything for that matter... stick ur hand out of a window of a car at 65mphs with hand wide open (like ur hi fiving someone). and see how that wind pushes ur hand back... then lay ur hand down.. palm facing the floor.. feel the difference... now picture that at 160mphs..

a test was done a while back in 96.. on an old school honda 750 interceptor... which topped out at 135mphs (if that).. they took a tear drop shaped aircraft fuel tank off a fighter plane... made it fit around the the honda.. took it to the salt flats and they were pushing mid to hi 170s.... just by changing the aerodynamics

yeah but then it wont look like zx7r.. i know.. but it still has the heart n soul of a kawi...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya its the texas mile......so far my bike has been bord over jetted shorty exhaust and its been lowered 2in.......and the motor is a fresh rebuild

·
Registered
237 Posts
i remember when fast bikes magazine tried to do it with a busa on the autobahn. they did not succeed. you will not succeed. sorry, try again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i remember when fast bikes magazine tried to do it with a busa on the autobahn. they did not succeed. you will not succeed. sorry, try again.
it can be done. with the rite amount of money i can make a go cart do 200mph

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
dolla bills, lots of em. anything is possible if you got the money to back it

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
it can be done. with the rite amount of money i can make a go cart do 200mph
If you want to accomplish this with a ZX7, you should first start by looking at the bikes that have achieved your goal already. Note their hp, gearing, weight, etc. Then note your own gp, gearing, weight, etc. Now figure out a way to make up the performance difference lacking from your bike.

Look at the bikes that have already done 200.

http://texasmile.net/results/200_mph_motorcycle.html

Most of them are Higherb00sars and ZX14s. Most likely using nitrous or turbo.

So expect to get at least that much power out of your machine.

A ZX-7R has a top speed of what? Around 170ish I'm guessing? And that probably takes a lot longer distance than a mile.

How much money are you realistically willing to invest to be the first sub 1000cc bike in the 200mph club on the Texas Mile?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want to accomplish this with a ZX7, you should first start by looking at the bikes that have achieved your goal already. Note their hp, gearing, weight, etc. Then note your own gp, gearing, weight, etc. Now figure out a way to make up the performance difference lacking from your bike.

A ZX-7R has a top speed of what? Around 170ish I'm guessing? And that probably takes a lot longer distance than a mile.

How much money are you realistically willing to invest to be the first sub 1000cc bike in the 200mph club on the Texas Mile?
i don tknow if i want to invest the money in it or not as of rite now its just a dream.....but i would be willing to do it if the price wasnt to high(under 5K)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i would way with the amount off money u would spend it would be easier to do it on a new zx10 or zx14 with some mods and cheaper.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

That would be a kewl accomplishment though. To be able to say that you did it first...

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
i don tknow if i want to invest the money in it or not as of rite now its just a dream.....but i would be willing to do it if the price wasnt to high(under 5K)
I know it seems cliche to say... but with this kind of thing, if you have to ask how to do it, you're probably not ready to get into the project.

I don't mean that to say that you, personally, can't do it. I just mean that generally when someone has something untried and uncommon, they usually already have an idea on the drawing board of how to get there and what kind of commitment it's really going to take. Or have some expertise and years of experience working with that hobby or whatever it is. And when someone doesn't know what they're getting into when they start a project, it often fails.

So I'm just saying that to make the point that if this is something you really wanted to do, you've got a lot of homework and planning to do before a single cent is even spent.

I think it would be cool to see a smaller displacement bike go that fast in the Texas Mile. I think with a boosted engine, it would be very attainable... But the power needed, I'm thinking, would require built engine, mostly custom fuel system, certain chassis mods, yada yada. Which is why most people would rather just grab a Higherb00sar off the showroom floor and add a little nitrous.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know it seems cliche to say... but with this kind of thing, if you have to ask how to do it, you're probably not ready to get into the project.

I don't mean that to say that you, personally, can't do it. I just mean that generally when someone has something untried and uncommon, they usually already have an idea on the drawing board of how to get there and what kind of commitment it's really going to take. Or have some expertise and years of experience working with that hobby or whatever it is. And when someone doesn't know what they're getting into when they start a project, it often fails.

So I'm just saying that to make the point that if this is something you really wanted to do, you've got a lot of homework and planning to do before a single cent is even spent.

I think it would be cool to see a smaller displacement bike go that fast in the Texas Mile. I think with a boosted engine, it would be very attainable... But the power needed, I'm thinking, would require built engine, mostly custom fuel system, certain chassis mods, yada yada. Which is why most people would rather just grab a Higherb00sar off the showroom floor and add a little nitrous.

i would have to say that is true i have zero experiance building and a 200mph bike, dont get me wrong i know my way around a bike but your rite i dont have any experiance.....i guess you could say me posting this would be the start of my homework. i figured i could make the power to do the 200 but getting the bike to handle and stop would be alittle harder and then the areodynamics are completly unknowen to me

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
i would have to say that is true i have zero experiance building and a 200mph bike, dont get me wrong i know my way around a bike but your rite i dont have any experiance.....i guess you could say me posting this would be the start of my homework. i figured i could make the power to do the 200 but getting the bike to handle and stop would be alittle harder and then the areodynamics are completly unknowen to me
Well don't let me discourage you.

Go show them hiGHerb00sars who's boss! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well don't let me discourage you.

Go show them hiGHerb00sars who's boss! :D
ya bro, i doubt your gonna have that thing in the 200+ club for awhile especially after all the shit we read today, u have to saftey wire your whole bike basically + full leathers, max rated helmet etc.. thats mucho dinero right there! besides that i think a 150+club shirt will look better anyways =)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts