Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike out for a ride today and everything ran fine. I just changed the battery and did an oil change this morning too.
I parked it, and it promptly shut itself off...
I immediately tried to start it to see wth was going on and it wouldn't turn over. Yes, it has gas, the stop switch was in the run position, in neutral, etc...

You can hear the fuel pump come on when the key is put in the on position like normal but when pressing the start button, nothing happens. After about 30 minutes or so, it magically turned over and started with no hesitation.... ???

I'm thinking there could be maybe contact corrosion at the switch on the handlebars, or maybe a bad starter solenoid. I'm not sure. Is this a problem others have had as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dylan

·
Registered
453 Posts
OK.
How many Miles has the Bike covered ?
Any issues prior to you swapping out the Battery?
You say parked it up, Exactly what happened ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a project bike. I bought it on craigslist under the assumption "it ran perfect before I parked it". The bike has just under 29k with only being laid down at low speed as a prior problem.

I slowed to a stop as if anybody would to park, and the bike pretty much shut itself off as I was about to do that. Why, I have no idea... it doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
381 Posts
I'd start by going through all the bits 1 by 1, sidestand switch, clutch switch, handlebar switches. Though these bikes kinda have some corrosion related problems in the connectors, i had to change left hand side switchgear due to corrosion and the connectors under the tank on the top of the airbox tend to corrode really easily too. If you have time I'd go through them 1 by 1, clean everything out, and see how it goes. Tip over sensor can be dodgy too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd start by going through all the bits 1 by 1, sidestand switch, clutch switch, handlebar switches. Though these bikes kinda have some corrosion related problems in the connectors, i had to change left hand side switchgear due to corrosion and the connectors under the tank on the top of the airbox tend to corrode really easily too. If you have time I'd go through them 1 by 1, clean everything out, and see how it goes. Tip over sensor can be dodgy too.
Sidestand switch, clutch switch, and tip over sensor. I'd say those are your top three culprits in that order as well.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
381 Posts
Also as an addition, you could try bump starting it to see if it's not one of those, if it starts you can rule out all 3 of those instantly and it's something else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also as an addition, you could try bump starting it to see if it's not one of those, if it starts you can rule out all 3 of those instantly and it's something else.
Bump starting will rule out the tip over sensor. There is a bit more to the others.

The clutch switch works in conjunction with the sidestand switch. If the bike is in gear and the sidestand is down it will run and/or start with the clutch pulled in (closed circuit). As soon as the clutch is out (open circuit) it will kill the engine if the ECU thinks the sidestand is still down.

The sidestand switch tends to be an intermittent fault when it's getting towards the end of it's life (I hate those things) and will actually kill the engine with an intermittent "open". When the stand is down the circuit is open, when the stand is up the circuit is closed. When the bike is in gear it works identical in function to the kill switch and on many bikes the two are wired in series. The exception being that if the bike is in gear you can pull in the clutch to engage the starter and/or have it run.

My money is on the sidestand switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts